1756-ENBT Card Setup

jlimon13

Been looking into creating a program that will automatically detect a new ENBT MAC address if the card is ever replaced. Then the program automactically setup the new card with all the old parameters from the old card. Not sure if this is posible ive been trying to go about it with MSG, GSV, SSV, but i cant seem to come up with a solution. Thanks

Reconfiguring a 1756-ENBT is so simple using RSLinx Classic that I don't think it's really worth it, especially considering the probability that the new module will be different enough that it won't accept the configuration correctly.

But if you're really keen on it, you can look up some Knowledgebase documents about using MSG instructions to set the elements of the TCP/IP Object (class 0xF5).

Start with this index of internal CIP messaging technotes:
https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24538

Then go to the one describing how to write to the IP configuration:

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26779

All of those documents require a TechConnect contract for access.

Just use a switch that has DHCP persistence per port and that will do it for you. No need to reinvent the wheel.
And hope the switch doesn't fail and need to be replaced. Then you need to have a pre-programmed replacement available or program a new switch. It is a useful idea though for computers as well.
As Ken said it is so simple to configure with RSLinx that I would do it that way. I have seen very few ENBT failures (only 2 or 3 in 6 years) and we have hundreds out there.

Then you need to have a pre-programmed replacement available or program a new switch.

Yep it's called a compact flash card. Take it out of the old switch and put it in the new one.You can even have a backup CF card if you are than paranoid. Switches are easy to change using this method. If my idiots can do it anyone can.

That same argument can be had for any piece of hardware. Everything fails at some point but in my experience switches when installed properly fail even less than ENBT's.

Last edited:
Yep it's called a compact flash card. Take it out of the old switch and put it in the new one.You can even have a backup CF card if you are than paranoid. Switches are easy to change using this method. If my idiots can do it anyone can.

That same argument can be had for any piece of hardware. Everything fails at some point but in my experience switches when installed properly fail even less than ENBT's.
Good to know. I just thought it was something that the original poster needed to consider as there is always something that fails.

Thanks for all the feedback. I was just asking to eliminate error from other techs. As we have techs in my building that are not comfortable with any of the programs. Trying to make it as easy as possible.