1756-IF4XFXOF2F Fast analog firmware

Paul351W

I'm running some 1756-IF4X..... fast analog I/O cards and I was updating firmware on some ethernet cards and got in the groove and updated one of my series A fast I/O cards from v1.4 to v3.5, which I gather makes it a series B card.

After I made the firmware change I started getting a 16#0204 communication error on the card. I tried flashing back to v1.4, but after I downloaded the firmware I found on the Rockwell website that you cannot flash a B series (3.5) to an A series (1.4). However, it will allow me to flash 1.4 onto the card, but it errors out when it tries to check if the flash completed successfully.

I've tried changing the Program configuration to a B series and it still won't communicate. If I try to check the module status tab in the properties dialog box it times out and says the module was not found, but I can see the module in RSLinx.

With further testing, the problem follows the module wherever I put it in the rack. I've configured it as a /A and a /B in the project and either way it says the module is faulted and I get the same communication error.

I beleive I've seen this before, but I don't remember details - will check on Monday.
So I decided to test module v1.4 I have in my posession now.

V14.jpg

Added it to the project v17 and it had no errors

v14-1.jpg

I flashed to ver 3.5

v14-2.jpg

It had error 16#0204 under I/O configuration (I did not save this screenshot)

Cycled power on whole chassis, deleted module from I/O configuration offline added ser B module and downloaded
No errors
v14-3.jpg

I am not sure what corrected problem: deleting module offline or cycling the power.
I will let you know on Monday.

I wonder if the problem is that I tried flashing back to 1.4 after I put 3.5 on. I am getting errors now when I try to flash it with either version, so I'm worried I screwed something up.

I wish I'd never flashed it in the first place. I have about 8-10 cards in other test stands running 1.4 with no problems.

Paul, flashing card to 3.5 should not create any problems, I am not sure about flashing it back to 1.4

But the only reason to have FW 3.5 is to add archiving functionality. Other functions will not change.

I will need to do more research next week on why 16#0204 came up after flash and what recovered it.

I realized after I flashed it that 3.5 didn't really have any features I needed, so I went to flash it back, not knowing it might cause problems. In the description file for the 1756-Analog firmware update on the Rockwell website it says something about 3.5 firmware preventing a back flash of a B module to an A module, which is what I think I tried to do.

Either way (1.4 or 3.5) I'd like to get this card operational again. I won't be flashing any others again, that is for sure.

Just a a general rule, I would not recomend to flash ANY I/O cards unless you know for sure it will give you functionality that is missing in old revision or release notes pointing to a known issue that you already have.