1756-L63 x 1769-L36ERMS communication

Revnus

Hi.
I'm currently working on a project that requires upgrading a slave PLC FlexLogic to Compact GuardLogix 1769-L36ERMS.
This slave PLC communicates with the main PLC ControlLogix 1756-L63 by MSG.

The network will migrate from ControlNet to Ethernet.

Problem is that after I upgraded the FlexLogic logic, changing CPU to the GuardLogix one (RSLogix v28), I can add the ControlLogix CPU module to the IO configuration as showed on the "GuardLogix IO cfg" screenshot below, but not the opposite, as showed on the "ControlLogix IO cfg" below.

Currently I'm working offline, so I dont know if this will be possible when online yet.

Is there a way to add the GuardLogix module to the IO configuration of the 1756-L63 logic?
If not possible, can I add configurate the MSG if the GuardLogix address, even if I do not create the module?

PS: I'm not responsible for the project. I don't know yet why they want to use a GuardLogix, since they are not going to use Safety IO.

Thank you!

CompactLogix IO cfg.png ControlLogix IO cfg.png

I think the basic problem is that the Studio 5000 software for that 1756-L63 is too old to know about the 5069 platform at all, regardless of the safety features.

The standard workaround is to put a "placeholder" controller object in the 1756-L63's I/O tree that it does know about. I use the 1769-L35E.

That will give the 1756-L63 ControlLogix a target object with EtherNet/IP onboard to point its Consumed Tag requests at.

I think the basic problem is that the Studio 5000 software for that 1756-L63 is too old to know about the 5069 platform at all, regardless of the safety features.

The standard workaround is to put a "placeholder" controller object in the 1756-L63's I/O tree that it does know about. I use the 1769-L35E.

That will give the 1756-L63 ControlLogix a target object with EtherNet/IP onboard to point its Consumed Tag requests at.

Thanks for your reply!

I'll try that.
Would you know if is it possible of addressing the IP of the module on the MSG configuration, even if the module is not created on the IO configuration?

The Produced tag source controller is only required to be in the I/O tree of the Consuming controller if you are using Produced/Consumed Tags.

It is also convenient for selecting the destination of an MSG instruction in the MESSAGE configuration window.

But it is not required. You can manually enter the CIP Path for a MESSAGE instruction.

For a message going from a 1756-L63 to a CompactLogix 5069 series controller, the CIP Path is likely as simple as the comma-separated string:

1, [slot of 1756-ENBT], 2, [IP Address of CompactLogix]

• Port 1 is the 1756 backplane
  • Slot numbers start at 0 on the left
  • Port 2 is the Ethernet port of the 1756 Ethernet module
  • The IP address is the IP of the 5069 controller port that is connected to this network.

A MSG instruction inside the 5069 controller will have a slightly trickier path because of the way its Ethernet ports work, but we can cross that bridge when we come to it.

Thank you again Ken!

I created the 1769-L35E as you suggested.
For the GuardLogix 1769-L36ERMS I dont think I will have problem since this model is relatively new, and so I could create the ControlLogix module on the IO tree normally.

Ill make the tests this week and let you know how it goes.