1794-AENT static IP

Using BOOTP, after double-clicking on the MAC Address of the module to be configured, enter the IP Address you wish to assign.

Then after BOOTP has sent the address to the module, click on it again in the relation list, and then click "Disable BootP/DHCP".

If you get a successful response, then the module will be Static IP mode, and should remember the address through a power-cycle. Which can be tested easily, since you're in BOOTP, it won't start broadcasting its MAC Address after rebooting.

I have never had to set thumbwheel to an "illegal" value, just leave it on 999.

I have done this many times, and never had issues.

After doing that, you may, of course, have to set a different SubNet Mask, for which you can use RSLinx.

How the module uses the thumbwheel switch and BOOTP/DHCP enabled or disabled is described on page 5 of the manual

Another point on disabling BootP

Just wanted to re-iterate from Daba's post, because I've seen this get a lot of people when using BootP.

The key when working with a device with BootP enabled (which is default out of the box) is you can set the address in the device with BootP from your laptop, and the device will hold it, but ONLY until it's power gets cycled. When it comes back after a power loss, as long as BootP is enabled then it will always go back to looking for a BootP server again...if your laptop isn't connected at that time, then it doesn't get an IP.

This can cause problems especially if you set it up in the office and test it, etc., and everything looks fine. Then power it down, pack it up, ship it and expect it to still have the IP when it starts up at the customer site...won't happen if BootP is still enabled.

The way to get it to hold its address permanently is to disable BootP. Even if you set a static IP using the module configuration in RSLinx, if you forget to disable BootP, then it will wipe that static address next time the power cycles and go back to looking for an address from the BootP server next time it starts up.