1797-IBN16 FlexIO on a 1769-L16ER CPU

gabidamir

Hi everyone
I have an issue regarding the integration of a 1797-IBN16 Flex IO module on a network with a 1769-L33ER CPU
they will communicate thru a 1794-AENTR Ethernet adapter.
I have added the Ethernet module to the network but my problem is that when I try to add the Flex module on the chassis of the Ethernet adapter I can only add 1734 family modules.
Should I use a generic module like 1734-MOdule and then configure that one to fit my Flex IO.
If so is there someone that can guide me a bit towards that. I have tried to do that but I cannot find the figures for Assembly instance Input/Output/Configuration
Any help will be very highly appreciated.
Thank you

Because the 1794-AENTR is connected via the EtherNet/IP network, you need to add it to the Ethernet network section of the I/O tree rather than the POINTBus backplane section of the I/O tree.

Because the 1794-AENTR is connected via the EtherNet/IP network, you need to add it to the Ethernet network section of the I/O tree rather than the POINTBus backplane section of the I/O tree.

Hi Ken
first of all thank you for your answer
I have tried that but still no success. I have tried like you said to add it on the Ethernet section but the thing is that I have 2 pieces 16 DI and 3 pieces 8AI so they need to be on the bus of a Ethernet adaptor otherwise how can address it

Attached you'll see a picture of my program

I can also provide the whole program if need it

Last edited:
Thank you for posting the screenshot; I think I understand the problem.

With modular I/O platforms like POINT and FLEX, you need to add the network adapter module to the EtherNet/IP network, then add the I/O modules to the POINTBus or FLEXBus backplane objects that appear underneath the Adapter module.

I see a handful of problems just with the I/O tree you posted.

Are you actually using special POINT I/O modules that require the Generic Module object ? Most A-B brand modules will show up in the I/O list and do not require a Generic Module Object.

In addition, you're using the smallest CompactLogix controller, the 1769-L16ER. It supports only four remote EtherNet/IP devices in the I/O tree, and I see at least seven already in yours.

Here's a screenshot of how the FLEX backplane object should appear. Highlight the FLEXBus, right-click and select New Module, and the list of available 1794 and 1797 modules will appear.

FLEX_on_Backplane.PNG

Hej Ken
thank you for your input
the CPU was not my choice I'm part of a technical dept and I'm only programming the PLCs that they throw at me
About the multitude of Ethernet/IP devices now they are so many only because it's an older project that I will reuse so in the end there will be only 3 plus a connection to the main PLC so that should be 4 in total
I'll try to use your advice and see how it goes

Once again thank you for time and patience with a novice

Hi Ken
I managed to get the modules into my program following your advice and finding a mistake in the drawings (the Flex IO adapter was drawn as a 1734 and not 1794 so I was trying to add the wrong modules to the wrong adapter
So we can consider this issue closed
Once again thank you