1st time user in the RSView Studio

RSLinx Enterprise is what the new communication engine/drive for the FactoryTalk enabled software. RSViewSE (FactoryTalk View SE or something like that now), RSView ME, RSSQL, etc. RSLinx Enterprise uses the FactoryTalk libraries for the RT tag database (forget the markeing speak for what Rockwell calls that part).

It is also what is used on the PV+, RSView ME Runtime and the CE boxes with RSViewME runtime. RSLinx Classic is used for the older software like the different versions of RSLogix, RSView32, etc.

Darren

rjmarinaro said:
so when i buy the Factory Talk View Studio will I have to buy RSLinx Enterprise also. Or will it be free like the RSLinx is?

FactoryTalk comes bundled with RSLinx Enterprise, its in the price

That is a difficult question to answer. It depends on what you are doing.

If you have a RSView SE distributed system you are working with you will need to buy a license for RSLinx Enterprise/Factory Talk distributed directory, so that you can properly edit a remote application. At least that is what the local software person from Rockwell told me. Since we have system integrator keys that is not something I have to worry about.

If you are just working with RSView ME then everything you need is included. You get a license that allows local Factory Talk directory access.

Darren

RSLinx Enterprise suffers a flaw that may be serious or not depending on your application. Enterprise cannot bridge through networks well, if at all. Example, Linx Enterprise cannot connect to a PLC-5/SLC-500 connected to a DH+ card in a Logix rack from an Ethernet connection to the rack.