230VAC Redundancy

hskacar

Dear Friends,

We are designing a redundant automation system. For DC equipments, we have DC power supplies and redundancy modules for them. But we also have 230VAC transmitters on field.

So that can you advise me a din rail or screw mounted equipment, which has dual input and single output of 230VAC which will changeover seamlessly without interrupting the equipments.

I found "Fail Safe Power Distribution" units for rack systems, but the problem is they are designed for computer plugs and can be installed in the racks. https://www.servertech.com/products/fail-safepowerredundancy/fail-safe-transfer-switch-pdu

I need a din rail or screw mounted, and with input and output terminals prefferably. And also customer is very sensitive about this topic and wants a good, well-known producers.

I would appreciate if you can write your advises,

Best Regards,

Last edited:
Dear Friends,

We are designing a redundant automation system. For DC equipments, we have DC power supplies and redundancy modules for them. But we also have 230VAC transmitters on field.

So that can you advise me a din rail or screw mounted equipment, which has dual input and single output of 230VAC which will changeover seamlessly without interrupting the equipments.

I found "Fail Safe Power Distribution" units for rack systems, but the problem is they are designed for computer plugs and can be installed in the racks. https://www.servertech.com/products/fail-safepowerredundancy/fail-safe-transfer-switch-pdu

I need a din rail or screw mounted, and with input and output terminals prefferably. And also customer is very sensitive about this topic and wants a good, well-known producers.

I would appreciate if you can write your advises,

Best Regards,

You need a Static Transfer Switch (STS) what load does it need to switch ?

http://www.socomec.co.uk/static-transfer-systems_en.html

As you have discovered they all tend to be rack mount, the open frame ones are usually 100A and above, I have never seen a smaller DIN rail mount type

We use Socomec, one of their rack mount modules has screw terminals, some other UPS manufacturers may have them in their range (Riello, APC etc.)

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. I am not familiar with rack systems. Is there any way to mount rack type equipment to an empty enclosure?

Thanks

Thank you for your reply. I am not familiar with rack systems. Is there any way to mount rack type equipment to an empty enclosure?

Thanks

Yes, you just need some sort shelf to take the weight of it and some brackets to hold it secure, they are quite deep though, you will need around 600-700mm total depth

You may find some sort of DIN rail mount device to give you a small amount of hold up on AC, or could possibly use an ATS or flip flop contactor with a small UPS downstream just to hold the load for the few seconds on changeover

Like I said before, without knowing what load you have its difficult to suggest the best option.

The load is proccess instruments such as pH transmitters, Conductivity transmitters, flowmeters. Actually we have a S7-400 PLC in our system but it is 24VDC powered. So we just fed 2 different DC Power supply from 2 redundant line and then make it single 24VDC with redundancy module.

We couldnt choose transmitters 24VDC because the distance is around 150 meters for each and the voltage drop on 24VDC is very high.

The total amount of power required is around 1200W single phase.

Thank you so much.

The load is proccess instruments such as pH transmitters, Conductivity transmitters, flowmeters. Actually we have a S7-400 PLC in our system but it is 24VDC powered. So we just fed 2 different DC Power supply from 2 redundant line and then make it single 24VDC with redundancy module.

We couldnt choose transmitters 24VDC because the distance is around 150 meters for each and the voltage drop on 24VDC is very high.

The total amount of power required is around 1200W single phase.

Thank you so much.

I would just use a flip/flop contactor with a 1200VA UPS downstream.

As evidenced by the divergence of replies already, you need to answer more questions.

Do you need the backup 230VAC source to be temporary, or are you looking at having a redundant supply from somewhere else and you are just looking for a way to switch it over automatically?

Then, if temporary, how long do you need to keep supplying that 1200W?

Or if it is an alternate source, do you want to switch pack to the primary when it is available again?

On 24 Volts it is 50 Amps, so you will need a pretty big PSU.
and yes a standard PSU will do this. and obvious for the amount of time a big battery.
Dont forget that most pumps do stop when power is failing.
So process will stop too.