A-B Microview comm.

fishenguy

I have an A-B Microview (cat #2707-MVP232) connected to a Micrologix 1000 (cat #1761-L32 BWA).
I purchased another one and want to set it up so it would be ready to install if the original goes south on us.
I plugged it in to the PLC but kept getting a comm. failure.

It should be pretty easy to set up, but I can't get it to work.

Now, upon closer examination, I notice that the new Microview cat#, ser.#, and FRN # are the same, but there is another series of numbers that don't match up. The original has DTLX stamped on it while the new on has CSLX stamped on it. Could this be my problem? I went thru the baud rates and set everything up the same as the original.

What do those two designations mean?

Thanks for the help. Dave

Are you able to upload the program from the existing microview? I have not been able to get any information on the DTLX or CSLX There are only two types of of these microviews 2707-MVH232 which is the hand held model and the 2702-MVP232 which is a panle mount model. Do you have the correct programming cable 2702-NC8?

I used the same cable that is on the original. It works for that one. These are both panel mounts. and I am positive about the designations on the two interfaces.

Dave

I thought RA stopped manufacturing those a decade ago. Is yours new off the shelf, or aftermarket ?

I'm thinking you got a unit with a damaged serial port. I'd have to use a serial analyzer or a scope to find out.

It's new off the shelf. I'm thinking I'm doing something wrong. I'll call our a-b supplier on monday when I get in. They're pretty good about helping us out with this kind of stuff.

As Ken said you may have a unit with a bad comm port. You can perform a simply loopback test on the unit by installing a jumper between pins 4 and 7 of the comm port and running the microview comm port diagnostic.
Power up the unit and press the MODE key to display the mode screen. Select item 4-Other and then select item 4 - Test Press the NEXT or Prev keys to select the Diagnostic Test Comm Port selection. Press the enter key to start the loopback test.The unit will dispay either a Pass or Fail response. Press any key to stop the test. This test and the other available test are discribed in the Microview manual in section 8.