A plea for help...and mentor

I agree, but the needs of business change, for all we know the place could have been shut down or in off season and they didn't need that particular piece of equipment. I was dissapointed to see he gave up, it looked like he was really getting it. His resources must be more valuable elsewhere in the company.

Greg

damianjones said:
Hello Everyone,
It's Damian. First of all I want to thank everyone who tried to help me accomplish this mission. Coming from a programming background you would think I could pick this up and run with it. Alas that is not the case.
So I put the project on the back burner and promptly forgot about it.
Since then I have put in a entirly new network. I went from an old Novel 5 network to a Windows 2003 which included email collaboration system. I put in a new Cisco IP telephone system with spectralink i640 wireless IP phones. Those are the highlight, but I've done bunch of other stuff also.
Sad to say this project remains as it was when I left it. With Mordred's program in the PLC, but not running. Everything it ran I got an error and I gave up.
What I would like to offer is a mere pitance for someone to champion this cause and write the program for me.

You can PM and I'll give you my other contact details and we can negotiate a price. I will answer any questions needed for complete. This money is coming from my own pocket..those who can't do - pay.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

Many Thanks,
Damian

No one likes a quiter!!

As for the "those who cant do-Pay"..what a crock..what you mean is those who dont want to do..pay..
What r u going to do if the boss hands you something again..pay someone to do it for you?? (It could get expensive!!)

You were so close..and its not like no one was willing to help..

Suck it up princess and drag that laptop out!!If you can update a Novel system you can start and stop a damn dust collection system..

I know its easier to give up and pay but try it for yourself..at the end of the day when you push that button and things happen..you will stand back and say.."cool..i did that!"

Stick with it..and good luck..Rs500 isnt my bag but i will help you out as much as i can..

One more thing.. I am just a dumb old electritian..and i can get my head around this PLC thing you can to..

J.M.O

D

Well,

Damien I have it done for you right now. Give me a call today so we can get this taken care of. This christmas cash is going to pay for my wife's gift.

Everyone else, I am a strong proponent of teaching and I will definately go over everything with him and explain it to him to the nth degree. Sometimes, people just need that. Sometimes a little instruction with a functioning program is enough to turn the light on.

Looking at what he had to begin with and where he left off, he would have been struggling for a while. The sequencer idea was way OVERKILL and difficult to follow. I spent alot of time in the beginning on sequencers so I could understand and apply them correctly. Still to this day, I have only met and seen one other program that applies them correctly(this is my experience, not a generalization, I am sure there are many here who can use them properly). At the time of this thread, while the help was great, from what I saw of the program, it would not have worked anyway. There was alot of duplication, thought processes that did not go to completion, way to many latch/unlatch bits for such a small program, and with it being a dust blower system, latches on a power failure might have caused a problem. I kept it simple and used some delay timers to help him follow things.

I have it broken down into 4 areas for him right now. System 1, System 2, the Main Blower, and alarms. It should be very nice for him to follow and learn some basics. I have to talk to him about how to really reset alarms, the system lights to verify I have it right, and the proper state of the equipment monitors.

So hopefully, after we get this up and going, he will have a better understanding and will be better equipped to handle the next project that comes his way.

Thanks

David

darrenj said:
As for the "those who cant do-Pay"..what a crock..what you mean is those who dont want to do..pay..

I realize this is just your opinion, but not knowing his situation think of it this way...

Lets say that Damien gets a bonus at the end of the year based on his performance, but also how the company has done overall. Now lets say that working on this project would have eaten up another 40 hours of his time (wild *** guess). Now lets say that in a typical work week he can make his employer $6,000 profit of which he might get something like 10% in his bonus (total wild *** guess). Now would it be worth it to him and the company to use his time to figure this one out or just to pay someone else to do it?

In my opinion whether its worth it for him to pay or finish himself depends on two things: 1. Does he have the time right now to learn this? 2. Will he likely need this knowledge again in the near future?

marksji said:
I realize this is just your opinion, but not knowing his situation think of it this way...

Lets say that Damien gets a bonus at the end of the year based on his performance, but also how the company has done overall. Now lets say that working on this project would have eaten up another 40 hours of his time (wild *** guess). Now lets say that in a typical work week he can make his employer $6,000 profit of which he might get something like 10% in his bonus (total wild *** guess). Now would it be worth it to him and the company to use his time to figure this one out or just to pay someone else to do it?

In my opinion whether its worth it for him to pay or finish himself depends on two things: 1. Does he have the time right now to learn this? 2. Will he likely need this knowledge again in the near future?

True possibly a little two harsh on my end..But to me its always worth figuring out especialy since he was so close the first time

Anyway..its done with now..I just hope he learns from the program and the next time he is faced with something like this he will have some more time to spend on it.

D

I also hope that Damien gets another shot at this as he appears to be on the verge of "getting it" and I always like to see another join our flock...

Damian,

What horsepower are the main fans? Are they on soft starters or across the line? If they are 75HP or more you will want to have a little dwell time (45s) to allow the inrush current to dissipate before starting the next one.

Also, with dust collection you usually start at the end destination and work backwards with your motors/equipment starting sequence and interlocking. You would want to start the equipment at the truck then work your way back up the line.

One other thing, at the end of the day when the main fans are shutdown, usually you want the rest of the dust collection equipment to run for sometime (30 min) to purge out the system.

When you have written your code, please post so we can help further.

Glenn

Damian
I know exactly how you feel. I started my current job almost 2 years ago, and had never had to do any programming other than taking the program and loading it in the processor. All I ever did was troubleshoot and wiring. Now I am responsible for all programming and commisioning. Fortunately I have a mentor that I can call 24/7 (and have alot) I hope your project goes well.

Yes, with some more details of what the level control is controlling, what signal is being used, what type of controller (PLC, stand-alone, instrucment). A P&ID diagram is only as good as the information used to make it.