Aaarugh! Help. Out of the blue I have to teach a PLC class...

TConnolly

Lifetime Supporting Member
We are flying in a crew of mechanics and maintenance supervisors from one of our European plants for some mechanical training on a specific machine. We just found out that the machinists won't have a critical part ready before Wednesday afternoon. The crew is already on the plane. Its too late to reschedule. So plan B is to give them some hydraulics and PLC class room training the first 3 days. Hydraulics will last only couple of hours as these guys know it and we are only covering the changes we are making to the equipment. I delegated that to one of our guys who has just completed a hydraulics course (what better way to learn then to teach). Anyways, I'm scrambling like crazy to put together a 3 day PLC class with power point slides and material. Normally, I thrive on things like this, but the next few days are going to suck big time.

I would be very grateful for any material and ideas anyone is willing to share. I'm targeting AB SLC 5/05 program reading and using that to troubleshoot. These guys have minimal PLC experience but they are a bright crew, the top men from the plant.

Last edited:
I have some Power Point presentations that I have used in the past. Unfortunately for you, they are specifically for the GE Fanuc 90-30. If you think they might be helpful, contact me by PM with your email address and I can one or more of them to you. The Power Point presentations contain macros, so make sure your email server will allow them and that you will be able to run them on your computer. The macros animate the presentation so that you can simulate turning things like switches on and off and watch what happens as timers are enabled/disabled/reset.

Since it will be AB maybe Hugh Jack's book will help: http://www.patchn.com/plcbook.htm
I am not sure that is the latest version though but still should have enough to get you going. I also have explanations for XIO, XIC, NPN, PNP, example flip-flop, flasher, and you may include the WAS bit; they may run into that at some point. http://www.patchn.com/plc.htm

Just in case, I also have hydraulic symbols and some other items that may help with the hydraulics: http://www.patchn.com/hydrauli.htm

I am planning to make animated gifs of things like the flip-flop and flasher but it will probably be too late to help you. There is a program called ZD Soft Screen Recorder that I used to make a movie file, the one I did make can be found here: http://www.patchn.com/forum1/viewtopic.php?t=927&highlight=screen+recoder

I would consider using the Hugh Jack .pdf

Good luck. If you have never taught a 3 day class for 8 houds a day is not easy. It is hard to sound intelligent 100% of the time no matter how well you know your material. You will be glad when you are done.

We have labs or exercises that last about 1/2 hour. The labs gives me time to regroup and think about the next section. We have about 10 or 12 labs. Consider making some labs to give yourself a break and the students some hands on experience.

I too am teaching a 3 day class next week on hydraulics and motion control. I have done this a few times and have my CDs with power points, .pdf files, labs, and programs ready.

Wish you had had more notice, I have copies of all of the course materials for the full line of AB courses that cover the SLC500 from intro to advanced as well as maint/troubleshooting. Alas only hard copies but a weeks notice could have had them to you.

Look at this ebook http://www.modernmedia.us/plc_tech/toc.htm

Looks like it may be usefull to you.

Good luck.

Marc

Don't forget to show them the retro encabulator video, always good for a laugh and since it's an AB video, it will fit in nicely
icon7.gif

Last edited:
LogixPro is a good way to break in new guys!

Alaric said:
These guys have minimal PLC experience but they are a bright crew, the top men from the plant.

I use LogixPro for my intro to PLC course and it is great to get people used to RSLogix and to the fundamentals of programming. Use the door and the silo simulation exercise to get these men ready for your in-house stuff. It is just a thought!

I know that you said “minimal” ... how “minimal” ... or is this a “we won’t know until they get here” type of thing?...

(1) can they already navigate the RSLogix500 software?

if NOT, start by working on that end of it ... if you have enough "student stations" available, start by having them enter the printout of a pre-written example program with timers, counters, etc. ... the one that I use is about 15 rungs long ... a "fresh out of the box" student takes about 35 minutes to do it - with some “over the shoulder” coaching to get him started ... an "already know it" kind of guy takes about 5 or 6 minutes ... I call this the “walk-thru” exercise ...

(2) can they already read and understand a ladder logic program?

if NOT, then use the “walk-thru” example program to do the “talk-thru” ... describe and demonstrate how the timers, counters, seal-in, latches, etc. work ...

(3) can they already write simple programs for the SLC?

if NOT, then assign some programming exercises like the ones at the Learning Pit ... students LOVE doing these ... have Student A explain how his solution is different from that proposed by Student B ... have the class discuss which is better - and why ...

(4) do you have enough "work stations" for them to do any "hands-on" exercises? ... online? ... offline? ...

if you DO, then consider building some “demo board” machine (link to a simple suggestion) with basic lights and switches ... have the students write a series of “step-by-step” assignments to make it work ... also have a “does-it-all” instructor’s program already written ... put bugs in the machine by disconnecting various wires (including the neutrals), crossing wires for various inputs and/or outputs, screw the lamp bulb loose, etc. ... got some “bad” outputs on an old “scrap pile” module? ... that’s solid gold ...

for best results, make the “demo board” machine mimic your “real world” machinery as much as possible ...

(5) for more advanced students, take one of your company’s existing programs and “dissect it” in a classroom setting ... if there are enough students for several “teams”, try assigning different subroutines to each ... have them analyze and then discuss what they’ve found with the rest of the class ... stay on top of this to “stir the pot” with pointed (translation: “diabolically tricky”) questions ... make sure that the entire class knows that the instructor (you) might be purposefully leading them astray ... they should be comfortable in “calling your bluff” and arguing their side of the discussion ...

(6) does your existing program contain any “tricky” types of instructions? ... if so, consider teaching examples of those types of concepts ...

it looks like see you’re online right now ... I’ll go ahead and post this much ... feel free to call me if there’s any way a phone call might help ... I’ll PM my cell phone number ...

one more thing: how many students are you talking about here? ...

Thanks for all of your suggestions guys. I think the biggest problem is going to be working with a translator. Two of the guys are OK with English but the third is kind of weak on it, and my Italian is very weak, survival level only.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

Maintenance guys.
Then they are not going to write the programs themselves.
You should teach them a little on how to write programs. But then go onto how to troubleshoot. Tell them where to get support and documentation. Tell them about hardware and code troubleshooting.
You can provoke some errors in both hardware and software, and then let the guys try to sort them out.
Also tell them how to setup Custom Data Monitors, and if possible how to setup Trends. I use the latter a lot when troubleshooting on the SLC500.

One more thing.
If there is some kind of networking in the system, DeviceNet maybe, then that will be extremely relevant for your training.
When it IS part of the system, then it is a very critical part, and to troubleshoot it you absolutely must have some training.

Another idea: If it is getting hard to fill 3 days, then let the guys participate in installing the missing critical part.