AB 1756-OBV8S Faulting

kekrahulik

During the "no parts available" era of 2020-2022, we were told that a 1756-OBV8S would have better delivery than PointIO safety modules that we typically used. I got the 1756-OBV8S to work for a direct wire connection to a servo drive safe-off, but could not get it to pull in a 24V Coil Allen-Bradley 700S emergency stop relay. The Card Output just faulted every time it tried to pull in the relay (the relay would give a good "chunk" pull in before the fault). Luckily, the relay was for future use, so I shelved it...until now when I need to replace a bunch of hardwired 120V relays with Safety PLC controlled 24V relays.

As I search the AB knowledgebase, it looks like I'm not the first to struggle. One technote has you adding diodes to prevent faults if you are wiring in Bipolar mode - I am not. I have the card setup for sourcing, so the output wires to the relay coil+ and the relay coil- wires to 24V common.

Another technote makes it sound like you must use a SELV /PELV listed 24V power supply. Interesting that when I search AB for a SELC power supply, I don't seem to find any.

And finally, another technote makes it sound like these modules shouldn't have made it out the door at AB:

Summary
False Overload Faults with OBV8S/OBV8SK in Sourcing mode
Question
Why the OBV8S/OBV8SK module experience Overload Faults when the contactors are switching in Sourcing mode with safety or safety pulse test mode selected but there is no actual overloads observed ?
Environment
• 5069-OBV8S / 5069-OBV8SK V1.011
• 1756-OBV8S / 1756-OBV8SK V1.011
Answer
• 5069-OBV8S / 5069-OBV8SK : Firmware V2.011 and Add-On Profile V2.01 is now available on the Product Compatibility and Download Center to resolve this anomaly.
• 1756-OBV8S / 1756-OBV8SK V1.011 : Use an interposing contactor consuming less current, the anomaly will be resolved in a future firmware.

SO MY QUESTION TO THE GROUP:
1. Has anyone been successful with a 1756-OBV8S card? Any learnings?
2. Do I need to use a SELV power supply for it to function?
3. I just bought some 700-HN123 8-pin safety relays that I can use to pull in the larger 700S relays in case this is a load issue (haven't tried it yet). Has anyone else had to do this?

Of course, the delivery of the 1756-OBV8s ended up being a year delivery - so in hindsight, I should have just gone with PointIO.

Problem with using a non-safe interposing relay is that the safety integrity disappears. I use the AB 700-HPS2Z24 (a "Pin" style safety relay), as interposing relays. Its mounted in a 700-HN123 base.

I should have said that I bought 700-HPSXZ24 safety relays for my 700-HN123 bases.

My real issue is that the 1756-OBV8S card does not seem capable of pulling in a 700S-DCP1020DZ24 relay. So I'm a little miffed if I have to use a 24Vdc safety relay to pull in my real safety relay.

What do you mean by "reviewed previous designs"?

My coworker just had a discussion with Rockwell. They didn't seem to blink when he mentioned the problem of pulling in a 700S-DCP1020DZ24 relay - just nodded their heads. They suggested their new relay 700S-EF620QJC that has a low current coil.

My previous designs used the low current coil version (its not new, been around a while) because I confirmed that the relay holding current was less then what the module could supply. I assumed that the circuit you're having trouble with, the same due diligence had been performed. In the case of a relay's hold current being higher than what the module can supply, an interposing relay is the best fix if a low current version is unavailable.

....due diligence missed...

We've been using the other relays with PointIO for years with no issue, so didn't expect the new 1756 card to have less ability than the PointIO.