AB Controllogix Bridge Setup

SNK

I am attempting to setup an Ethernet-DHRIO Controllogix-Rack Bridge setup.

My intent is to use the 1756-ENET card to communicate to a PC for a GE FIX32 application, rather than using the original 1784-KT cards that are currently used, hoping to utilize the DH+ part of the 1756-DHRIO card for HMI only.

I have about 12 Racks of RIO in 1771 racks, communicating to a few PLC-5's, and am hoping to be able to access the RIO data through this "Bridge" setup for the FIX32 application.

So, I have a

1756-Rack
1756-ENBT (A)
1756-DHRIO (C)

How do I setup this routing table? Right now, I cannot even change channel B from DH+ to RIO.

Is there any Rockwell information that is available for this type of setup? If so, I cannot find any.

Please let me know if you have any interesting information that you would like to share...

On the 1756-DHRIO card switch (S6) should be set to 1. This will set channel B to RIO scanner. Switches 4&5 are used to set the node address. There should be a decal on the side of the card showing the switch configuration.

Both cards (enbt and rio) need to be configured first, in the rack, using a "newer" version of RSLinx (we use 2.51).

We have three such gateways in service, I am using one with an iFix 3.5 app, via LAN, to talk to a SLC 5/04 that's on DH+.

To config the gateway, I recall I had to connect to the DH+/RIO card first, with a DH+ capable laptop, to configure the ENBT card (to set IP, etc.). Then, using the same laptop, I had to swap connections and use a crossover cable to link through the configured ENBT card to set the DH/RIO card (module cfig numbers used for routing).

Once this was all done I bench-tested the bridge by plugging the DH+ port into a working PLC, and using RSLinx to "RSWho" through the ENBT card, backplane, and ultimately the DH/RIO card to the PLC. If all is well you should be able to link through.

As far as Fix goes, I assume you are using the ABR driver on top of a newer (2.51) version of RSLinx? If you're running older versions, I'd suggest you first upgrade both to the latest--older versions of RSLinx, in particular, will not recognize the ENBT or DH/RIO cards, showing up as "?" marks.

Once you can see all of your gear, including your PLC, in RSLinx on the Fix PC, you need to add a driver to RSLinx--it should be listed as a "Linx Gateway" or "Remote Gateway", typically found near the bottom of the driver list in RSLinx. Enter the IP of your ENBT card into the box in the driver CFIG and start it up.

Next, go into the CFIG section of the ABR driver and add a PLC rack, using the "Linx Gateway" driver. You will then be able to enter specific information, routing numbers and DH+ address, for your PLC rack. Once done, add some data blocks and use the ABR "validate" tool to check your comms.

There is some limited info on this in the Help files included with the ABR driver--

Hope this helps--good luck.

Ok, I have the bridge setup.
I can see several PLC's in a test environment in Rslinx.

I am not connected to anything via RIO yet.
I am planning on connecting the RIO link tomorrow.,

What should I expect to see on the RIO tree portion of the card?
Should I see the racks, I/O and RIO adapters connected to the 1771-system?
I am curious to know if they will show up, and in what format.
I will test the comms with the Ethernet on Fix32 tommorrow as well.

Thanks all for your help.

I do not believe that 1771 RIO would show up in that manner.

I setup a test program awhile back to scan some IFE's in a remote rack using a Logix processor, DH+/RIO card, and a 1771-ASB in a separate rack with some IFE's. I recall I had to use BTR/BTW's just like in a PLC5 to make them all go. They did not show up like standard Logix I/O would have.

AB has a paper on using Logix BT's, unfortunately too large to attach, but you can find it in their Knowledgebase.

The Logix gateway setup, typically, is just used to bridge in and out of systems using ethernet/DH+. I'm not aware of any functionality where you could access RIO via LAN--maybe one of the other guys has some more info on this.

Ok, I was just wondering if there was going to be anything showing up in the RIO tree, but as it is becoming clearer as I type this, I really don't even need the RIO functionality of the card, as I will be using this system to "bridge" between DH+ and Ethernet only. I won't even be using the RIO part of the card.

Thanks for your help.,