AB journey

The "add-on" module on the sides for the Powerflex Drives strongly suggests to me that these are the 700S version that includes an integral ControlLogix processor running logic locally within the drive. These are programmed with RSLogix 5000 just the same as the main 1756-L63's.

All these Drives are all networked on ControlNet which is why you have been delivered a 1784-PCC ControlNet Interface with the laptop. With this interface RSLinx will be able to access the entire system to program all the processors.

It is also very likely that when you look online at the I/O modules that are added to the 1756-L63's you will find the PowerFlex Drives are mapped in as well.

ControlNet uses "Scheduled connections" and "Unscheduled Messages" to move data. Now whereas with most Remote I/O type networks the I/O devices are mapped into a scanner and then shifted to a processor I/O datatable...by contrast with ControlLogix the specific remote device I/O image is directly and natively created in the processor as a scheduled connection. (RSLogix 5000 needs to support the I/O device.)

When you look at the "Controller Tags" you will likely find tags belonging to the Powerflex drives.

It also looks like the runs of ControlNet between cabinets has been done in Fibre Optic.

At some point in the future if you need to add new I/O adaptors to the system you WILL need "RSNetworx for ControlNet" which is the software tool for analysing and configuring the "Scheduled Connections" between all the I/O and Processors in your system. Understanding this tool is relatively non-trivial, and attempting to re-schedule the CNet without both some training, preparation and a decent time slot to get it done in...is a recipe for an unhappy boss.

Just for now this is not likely to be something you will want to do, but be aware that RSNetworx is the software behind all the smoke and mirrors of these "scheduled connections".

Thanks for the pics....it really is an impressive beast.

Last edited:
SLaubach said:
Tim
you should have had us all sign a confidentiality agreement before posting the pics...

Really,
I didn't know I was doing something wrong. I didn't see any secret techniques that would need to be kept top secret. I tried not to get any pics that would reveal the manufacturer. I had know idea that this would be a concern, but they did such a good job why wouldn't they want their name out there for people to see? :confused:
Tim

I'm building my own prees at home and was stumped until i saw your pictures.

Tim said:

Really,
I didn't know I was doing something wrong. I didn't see any secret techniques that would need to be kept top secret. I tried not to get any pics that would reveal the manufacturer. I had know idea that this would be a concern, but they did such a good job why wouldn't they want their name out there for people to see? :confused:
Tim

Back
Top Bottom