AB Micro1500 Upload

The_Wanderer

OK, so I am a bit rusty on my AB comms stuff, and have been banging my head on this for too long today.

I have a Micrologix 1500 with a fully functioning program. I need to communicate with it via CH1 (on side/9-pin dsub connector) (read: I don't have the proper cable in my possession for going straight into CH0 (on front/round plug)). CH1 it seems has had its comms settings changed in order to communicate with a now missing component.

I have tried plugging into CH1 with my PC, and loaded the DF-1 driver. Have the correct cable, programmed a different machine with exact same setup last week. Autoconfigure did not work, Manually changing the settings to what I thought they might be did not work. Can not get RS linx to see the PLC in any way shape or form.

Is there a way to externally reset CH1 to default comms settings (without losing the program in the PLC)? Or do I have to find myself a different cable and go in CH0?

Thanks!

Using the same cable, configure the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver in RSLinx. After doing this, if you can see the Micro under the PIC driver in RSLinx, you should be able to connect w/RSLogix500. You can also use the COMMS reset pushbutton on the Micro. This will default the comms back to DF1. When finished, if you need to set the comm port back to the way you found it, press it again and it will return to the previous settings.

Thanks for the responses so far...

The comms reset button unfortunately only resets CH0 (according to the manual anyway), but I tried it anyway. A few times-- I was in a button pressing mood. Didn't help.

Thanks for the link MrPLC. Nothing new to me there though unfortunatley. I am sure that if I had the right cable, I could do this the normal way as usual, but that is not the case.

Unfortunately I do not have the original program on disk (backup floppy is missing) so I can't figure the settings.

I will try the PIC driver on Monday, its time to go home now...

You are correct, Wanderer, that the DCOMM button only sets the default port configuration for Channel 0.

I think you see the basic problem; Channel 1 might be set for something you cannot guess. It might be set for Modbus, or DF1 half-duplex slave, or ASCII, or DH485 at 9600 baud, or disabled. There's no way to tell unless you have the original program or some notes about the device that used to be connected.

You might get lucky and find that it's been set for DH485 at 19200 baud. In that case, you could just use the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver in RSLinx.

More likely, you will have to get the usual Micrologix programming cable 1761-CBL-PM02 and plug into Channel 0.

Solution: Tell the boss to stop messing me around, buy the right cable, plug it in and work away... Done.
Spent about 50 euro for the cable and got it working right away, wasted 4 hours on Friday trying the "short-cut". Which makes more economic sense?

Thanks for the reply Ken, just what I figured. Turns out the damn thing was set for ASCII, never would have guessed it.