AB MicroLogix 1400 pulse train

Christoph

Hello All

I have a system using the ML 1400 plc. I have an encoder on HSC:1 input 4.
I want to pass this signal out on a FET output to another device
after I have scaled back making it a lower pulse rate. I need an Idea that
works. what I have come up with won't work and I am running out of ideas.

Last edited:
Hello All

I have a system using the ML 1400 plc. I have an encoder on HSC:1 input 4.
I want to pass this signal out on a FET output to another device
after I have scaled back making it a lower pulse rate. I need an Idea that
works. what I have come up with won't work and I am running out of ideas.

What are you trying to do?

Also, why don't you just scale the pulses on the ML and send the scaled output to whatever device?

If the rate is slow enough and the scale is a factor of 2 just use the appropriate bit of the accumulated count as a contact leading to the output.

In what mode is HSC:1 configured?

I am pretty sure that Bernie provided the right approach:

If it is only counting up or down, then there is no need to divide the count; simply use one of the higher bits of HSC:1.ACC.

E.g. say the pulses are coming in at ~10kHz, so HSC:1.ACC increases by about 10,000 per second, and by about 10 per scan (assume scan time is 1ms). If you were to do something like this:

HSC:1.ACC/12 FET_Output
-------] [--------------( )-------

Then the discrete output [FET_Output] would run at about 1.25Hz (Period = 0.8192s/output_cycle ~ 8192(input_pulses/output_cycle)/10000(input_pulses/s)) with a 50% duty cycle.

Note that bit 12 of .ACC is the 4096 bit i.e. 2^12 = 4096, so that bit 12 of .ACC has a rising edge every 8192 counts.

Cf. this link and image below (updated):

xxx.png

Last edited: