AB MicroLogix 1400 to Micro850 DF1

splash12

Hi,

I have a Micrologix 1200 that needs to be replaced (retrofited) and since the 1200 serie is not available anywhere I have to choose between Micrologix 1400/CompactLogix/Micro850.

The application is very simple and only uses binary outputs and inputs. I think the best is to change for the micro850 but the only thing that is boring me is that the Micrologix 1200 that we have is exchanging MSG with a Micrologix 1400 PLC via DF1.

Do any one of you have ever done that with a Micrologix 850 or have any informations if it's possible.

Thanks !

I have not done it but can you just use the Ethernet since they are both Ethernet? I would think that would be easier

Yes it would but the PLC to be replaced is like a ''safety'' plc for the 1400 and I was designed by the OEM to not be touched or accessible remotely or on the WLAN (controls the outputs for a biogaz flare).

Since you have an ML1400, I would just swap the ML1200 with a ML1400. Messages would be consistent over Ethernet.

Buy a ML1400 from GIT.

Yes it would but the PLC to be replaced is like a ''safety'' plc for the 1400 and I was designed by the OEM to not be touched or accessible remotely or on the WLAN (controls the outputs for a biogaz flare).

ML1400 is not a safety PLC. You must have something else there?

I have seen a 1200 thats a safety but not a 1400 :confused:

No, don't think a ML1200 has any safety associated with it.

I have a friend in Nebraska that wanted me to build him a bird zapper, to get rid of the nuisance birds. He would have a locked out push button trigger by the breakfast table and when one of those nasty birds came around to get feed, he would arm it and blow their little feet right off!

The conversation got a bit too heavy as why you shouldn't do this, but he thought he could sell it to other bird watchers.

Quite a few people on that forum doing things you shouldn't do.

He got really ****ed off when I declined to help him. Just TOTALLY Stupid!

He also takes people out for hire to Discover and Find Sasquatch in Nebraska. Makes money at it tho, but people paying him are more nut's than he is. LOL

Thats why I put the '' around the Safety parts... ! I know the 1200 or 1400 are not safety plcs.

The safety is made with a safety relay and watchdog on the inputs, that like that it was engineered in 2013 by the oem compagny.

I thought about the ML1400 for replacement but anyone has info if it going to end of life soon ?

No, don't think a ML1200 has any safety associated with it.

They have a 1754-L28xxxx its a GuardPLC 1200 Safety Controller, I dont think they make them anymore.

I have a friend in Nebraska that wanted me to build him a bird zapper...

Nuts, PEEDA would have his *** we built one that sounded like a 12 gauge and it keep them away, it would load a cylinder with compressed air and then open another valve that would dump it all at once... fun project and it worked

ML1200 is not in the same family.

Yeah, I lived in farmland and it was propane powered cannons going off.

Gives a kid something to think about till you take your Dad's lighter fluid and tape a bunch of can's together with a tennis ball inside.

Worked quite well, then we graduated to gun powder. Billy didn't need a haircut for a while!

Speaking of stupid ****.

When I lived about 8 miles south of here. A neighbor down the road had a party. It was the night before Thanksgiving. The entire woods filled up with smoke pretty quick, then there were a couple of explosions. Propane tanks blowing up.

Talked to the fire department on the scene. Stupid kid got a bit wasted with his dad there, tossed some black powder in the wood stove in the garage. That **** hit, blew up the propane tanks in the garage, leveled the garage and took the back end of their mobile home off.

My mom worked with the wife of this ********, and that was it.

While the GuardPLC 1200 and the MicroLogix 1200 do share enclosure hardware and the same model number, they run completely different operating systems are may as well be produced by different corporations.

The GuardPLC 1200 is definitely not a "safety version" of the MicroLogix 1200.

If the original controller is really an ordinary light gray MicroLogix 1200, then I strongly recommend replacing it with a MicroLogix 1400, especially if it's communicating with another MicroLogix 1400. Most users, even an expert like me, will burn up the purchase price different figuring out the new software and migrating even a small program.