AB MicroLogix, can't load comments and descriptions

nicksmick

I have a MicroLogix 1200 that I can connect to and go online with. I also found on a CD, an old file with comments and descriptions for all the rungs and bits.

However, I can't get the two to merge. When I go online with the PLC, and go to comms / upload, the file with the comments (named casepacker.rss) won't show up in the list of files I could use. Actually, no files will show up.

WHen I open the file with comments and try to go online that way, it tells me that the driver and node number are wrong. I can't figure out how to change them so that the change sticks.

Doing a compare of the two files shows that they are the same, but I simply can't be online and have descriptions at the same time.

Thanks in advance for your help.

won't show up in the list of files I could use. Actually, no files will show up.

In the upload window navigate your computer until you get to the folder for your files. Your file should show up, even though RSLogix 500 thinks it is not an exact match. Select your file then choose 'Upload Use File'.

The files themselves won't show up in the browse pop-up. No files do. Once you select the folder where the file is located and click OK you'll be returned to the previous screen and any .rss file that has a processor name matching the name of the online processor will be available to select.

Open the file that has the comments and descriptions.
Go to TOOLS > DATABASE > ASCII EXPORT and you can export lots of different .XXX files (just check the export all box).
(I dont have the software in front of me so cant give you the exact file extensions but you will see them)

Anyway save this export to someplace you can easily find it again.

Now close the program that had the comments and open the one that does not.

Again go to TOOLS > DATABASE > but this time chose ASCII IMPORT.
Navigate to where you stored the exported files from the previous program and import these to your program that has no comments.

It will prompt you to import each .xxx file extension individually so you will have to say yes/ok several times. (around 5 times if export/import all was checked if I remember right)

Once done it will have comments and descriptions, and if you were able to go directly online with this file before it had comments then you should be able to go directly online with it now that you have imported the comments.

Hope this helps I am going from memory but pretty sure that is the sequence, if I missed something someone will straighten me out shortly.

Good Luck,
BCS

Last edited:
That did it.

Thanks Sparky. That is exactly the information that I needed. I have it all together now, deleted the old corrupt "would not load" copy. And now have a file that works.

Thanks to all for your help.

Under controller properties, general tab make sure your processors have the same name on both .rss files. Upload your program, save as for a backup, and check your processor name, then ensure that your old .rss file has the same name. If not change the name of the processor on your archived to match the current file on the processor and "save as" under a new .rss file name. It should show and you can select "use file" to bring in your tags.