AB Panel view terminal won't wake up.

tesif

one of our panelview terminals goes blank after not being used for up to 2 weeks. It will not wake up like the other panelview terminals do upon operator interaction. It requires power cycling to wake it up.

Is there an Fkey combination that will force it to wake up?

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

Is your PanelView an ancient Classic, or a black-bezel Standard, or a modern Plus, Plus 6 or Plus 7 ?

Is it a touchscreen-only, keypad-only, or combination unit ?

Do you have any evidence that it is still running its firmware, such as being able to browse it in RSLinx or PING it on Ethernet, or examine the status LEDs on the back ?

In general, there aren't screen-saver wake-up key combinations, other than simply "any keypad button or touch cell".

While it's conceivable that your system has a user-designed lock display and secret key combination, it would have to be part of the application and not a default thing.

PanelView Plus does support HID devices like keyboards and mice over USB, so you could experiment by plugging in a keyboard and hitting F-keys, or Space or Escape. In general, the only usable navigation keys will be F1-F8.

More info from the field

the terminal is a PanelView Plus 1500.

I have some more info from the operators in the field:

This problem has occurred about 4 times in the last several months. If left alone it has come back after a while. However, if it is asleep but is needed they have been cycling power to wake it up.

I suspect there is a configuration setting on the terminal that is incorrectly set.

There is no "sleep" or "standby" or other power-saving mode in the PanelView Plus. There is only a screen-saver, which can dim or turn off the backlight.

The screen-saver feature is always dismissed by any touch of the screen or the keypad.

I sympathize that when a malfunction happens every few weeks and has a simple recovery method, it's difficult to convince an operator to take the time to examine LEDs or indicators on the terminal, or to call someone who can look at RSLinx or PING the terminal.

I doubt the problem is a configuration setting.

How about put the PV power through a PLC output that you keep on most of the time and cycle the power off every Sunday at 3:00AM when no one would care it was off for 1 minute?

One Rung EQU DAY SUNDAY - - EQU HOUR 3 - EQU MINUTE 0 - - OTE TURN_OFF_PV

Second rung XIO TURN_OFF_PV - - - OTE PV Output