AB PanelView Plus to Micro850 (RS-232)

lolproe

Hey guys,

I have a quick question about connecting a PanelView Plus to a Micro850 using the RS-232 port on both devices.

Originally I had the Micro850 connected to a PanelView Component, and from my understanding both of these were "DTE" devices, so a null-modem cable (1761-CBL-PM02) was used to connect them.

Unfortunately it seems like the PV+ is a "DCE" device, so the null-modem cable won't work for connecting it to the Micro850. Looking around, it seems like the 2711-NC21 cable would meet this requirement.

I'm just posting this for verification that my understanding is correct, since I'm piecing together information from a bunch of sources and I'm having a hard time finding official documentation backing any of it up.

Thanks

Sorry for the double post, but I have some information to add.

I got off the phone with my local AB distributor, and they only have the 1761-CBL-PM02 cables available right now so I can't get my hands on a 2711-NC21/2 in the short term.

It seems like my only option at this point is to get a null-modem adapter. I'd like to start testing soon, so I found the following adapter and could get it delivered by tomorrow.

http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/2708753/277-2408-ND/2529024

This looks like the right thing for this application, but if anyone else could take a look at it and confirm my thoughts that would be great.

You're on the right track.

I like those low-profile null modem adapters, but any unit from a general purpose electronics store like Radio Shack will work.