AB PLC 2/30 upgrade suggestions needed

Cogen

I have a PLC 2/30 that I need to start getting some thoughts togather on upgrading. I am leaning towared a SLC 500/5 as I have RSLogix 500 and I have four of those on site so it makes since for me to keep them all the same. If this is not a good idea let me know.

What would I need in the way of hardware and software conversion etc to do this project successfully? I hear that AB offers new IO cards for the PLC 2 rack that would interface directly to the SLC. Should I go this rout or just rip out the entire old PLC 2 and put in a complete SLC 500 system?

Thanks for the help

My answer depends on how many I/O you require. ?

If I/O count is under 80 I would consider a Micro Logix 1100.
If I/O count is under 144 I would consider a Micro Logix 1400

If the I/O count is higher again I would consider Compact Logix or Control Logix

Unless you already have a spare Slc 5/05 you would find the above to be cheaper, and it is also the direction that Rockwell appear to be directing for new installations hence the pricing.

I agree with Gil. I would stay away from the SLC not that there are problems,but because ther are applications that make these a good choice.

We need an I/O count , rack size and layout. Before we can give much advice.

Be careful with MicroLogix as there may not be online edits depending on the one you pick. A 1500 is on several machines at a customer site and it takes nearly 5 minutes to download the program in stop mode, all to change a constant or flip a NC to a NO. I hate them.

The SLC platform is on the way out judging by Rockwell pricing and intentions. It's a shame because it is a great software platform and bulletproof hardware. We continue to install them for customers with an installed base for the reason you said - consistency. However the CompactLogix platform is something you should take a serious look at.

ML1100 and ML1400 do online programming and have Ethernet comms,
this has made them a popular option, on Rockwell sites.

The ML 1000,1200, 1500, DO NOT have online programming or Ethernet comms built in.