AB PLC 'print' Command to Zebra Printer

NWSCC

Let me start by saying I love reading through these forums, you guys are amazing!

I have been tasked with implementing PLC control for a printing a shipping label with a Zebra printer. The owner wants to maintain control of the labels and templates from a PC, as the labels change often, which is the easy part. Instead of the entire label parameters, I just want the PLC to send a simple ‘print command’ to print the label when a particular discreet input goes high (vision sensor detects box is filled). Does anyone have any experience with this? Thank you for your time and interest.

The software is Bartender Industrial. It works well with zebra. It is used to create the labels, then stores them in the zebra memory. A touch-screen PC allows for switching labels in a flash.

I believe I just have to basically send the codes '~PS' and '~PP' when the instructions go high to get the printer to print what is in memory. At least, I hope this is what I have to do. Any insight into this is massively appreciated!

Are the labels going to be the same every time or is their data that also needs to be sent such as a serial number?

In two weeks I am about to do this exact same thing. There is an existing system using WonderWare and an OPC server for the printer. The system is very flaky, so I will be replacing it by connecting the printer directly to an AdvancedHMI touch screen. I haven't looked into the details and what needs to be sent to the printer, but I will figure that out next week.

I have a working model of this using AdvancedHMI. If you want to give me some details, I will put together a sample project and post it for you. What is the IP address of your PLC and what kind of PLC? What is the address of the bit that will trigger the print? What is the name of the downloaded format you want to print?