AB Power question for I/O cards for 1756-L83E

sloth_codex

Good afternoon,

I have a question with the Allen Bradley 1756-L83E. If I have multiple I/O cards (120VAC, 24VDC input output and analog cards), do these cards need incoming power for the processor to run and recognize these I/O cards? Should the rack communication not be enough to detect these cards but obviously not receive any inputs or output?

I don't need them to physically output any voltage or gather any physical inputs for the time being.

I currently do not have an AB rack or processor that I can try this out on, hence my reason for asking. I am wanting to dry run a program on a separate processor to make sure it will react the same as the old one before making the swap and did not want to have to run 120 and 24 to each I/O card for this dry run.

Thank you!

Generally speaking, with any PLC, it is not necessary to have field wiring present on any installed IO modules in order for the modules to be recognized by the CPU.

Good afternoon,

I have a question with the Allen Bradley 1756-L83E. If I have multiple I/O cards (120VAC, 24VDC input output and analog cards), do these cards need incoming power for the processor to run and recognize these I/O cards? Should the rack communication not be enough to detect these cards but obviously not receive any inputs or output?

I don't need them to physically output any voltage or gather any physical inputs for the time being.

I currently do not have an AB rack or processor that I can try this out on, hence my reason for asking. I am wanting to dry run a program on a separate processor to make sure it will react the same as the old one before making the swap and did not want to have to run 120 and 24 to each I/O card for this dry run.

Thank you!

Card configuration and operation only needs backplane power. You don't need I/O power for testing. Hell, you don't even need the physical modules to test code. You can put them in your I/O tree and inhibit the connection.