AB Remote access via Internet

zymie

Has anyone on this board set up remote monitoring/programming access to an Ethernet/IP network (1756-ENBT) via the Internet?

If so, what hardware/software was required on both ends?

It's been a while since I've used one, but we has used the 9300 RADES modem in the past for dialling into a plc on a customers site and I always found them very reliable. The advantage I found was that you could then talk to anything on the ethernet network and not just the controller.

Check this link and see if it's what you're looking for:
http://www.rockwellautomation.com/services/rmd/rades.html

I do it all the time, through Virtual Private Network (VPN) connections.

There will be a "VPN Appliance" connected between the Internet and the automation Ethernet network at your client location. Your PC will have a "VPN Client" application loaded onto it.

When you connect your PC to the VPN Appliance over the Internet, it creates a "virtual" network adapter that is part of the remote automation Ethernet network. RSLinx can connect to the remote network via the virtual network adapter.

You never, EVER want to connect your controller directly to the Internet. Forget you ever had such a thought.

You never, EVER want to connect your controller directly to the Internet. Forget you ever had such a thought.
Unless you want to get a good advice on how to write programs from someone on the internet you never met ;)

I just want to make sure you understand that the only way to connect to your PLC via Internet is VPN.
Without VPN all you PLCs will be exposed.

Will VPN work with 1756-ENBT? Yes!
I have one ENBT on the company network and can access this network from outside using company VPN.
Using this rack as a bridge, I can access all PLCs connected to an isolated network in my office.
With a broadband connection it is just a little slowly than direct network access.