ABB ACS850 to run at variable speeds

maksb

Hi all,

It is my first time using a VFD. The drive is connected to a fan which I need to run at variable speeds - ie. accelerate to a desired RPM and then decelerate to 0, then repeat.

Is this possible? Could anyone give me a clue as to how I would achieve this?

Sorry for the noob question, I am hoping someone here is able to steer me in the right direction.

I have access to DriveStudio.

Thanks in advance.

There are several ways to do that with the ACS850 drive.
~ Use another controller with timers and an analog output to an analog input of the drive.
~ Use the drives on board logic capabilities to control the drive in the same manner with an input to start/stop the cycling.
~ Attach an HMI with control or scripting capabilities and talk to the drive via it's standard serial port or optional Ethernet port.

Of course all of those will take getting to know the drive by reading the manual first.

There are several ways to do that with the ACS850 drive.
~ Use another controller with timers and an analog output to an analog input of the drive.
~ Use the drives on board logic capabilities to control the drive in the same manner with an input to start/stop the cycling.
~ Attach an HMI with control or scripting capabilities and talk to the drive via it's standard serial port or optional Ethernet port.

Of course all of those will take getting to know the drive by reading the manual first.

Thanks for the response Russ!

I have read the manual but am not sure that I understand it correctly. From what i gathered, I could select the Torque control macro and then apply a digital input to change it to speed control (would I need something like a microcontroller to achieve this?). Then using signal generator I should be able to control the speed via the analogue input, right? Unfortunately I have to wait until Wednesday for this equipment and even then, the speed of the fan would be limited. I spoke to my teacher and he suggested that something like a digital to analogue converter would be ideal as that would allow me to implement time delays and varied ramps.

I've been trying to get my hands on a copy of DriveSPC to try and control the drive from my PC as you have mentioned, but havent had any success.

Thanks for the response Russ!

I have read the manual but am not sure that I understand it correctly. From what i gathered, I could select the Torque control macro and then apply a digital input to change it to speed control (would I need something like a microcontroller to achieve this?). Then using signal generator I should be able to control the speed via the analogue input, right? Unfortunately I have to wait until Wednesday for this equipment and even then, the speed of the fan would be limited. I spoke to my teacher and he suggested that something like a digital to analogue converter would be ideal as that would allow me to implement time delays and varied ramps.

I've been trying to get my hands on a copy of DriveSPC to try and control the drive from my PC as you have mentioned, but havent had any success.

You don't need DriveSPC to do anything I suggested, you don't even need Drive Windows Lite, it can all be done through the on-board display/control panel. And wiring a toggle or Push buttons to a couple of inputs.
And you don't want to use torque control for a fan, unless maybe you want to detect when someone gets caught in it.

As a school project I suggest that you consult with your instructor for what's best for your situation.

An ACS850 on a fan????????? Does the instructor have any real world experience or is the class about doing things the hard or even the hardest way.

RussB's suggestions are all good. Keep it simple. This can be done with one toggle switch and the VFD. In fact, could be done with only the keypad Start/Stop button and no toggle switch. Just the VFD out of the box.

But seriously, depending on the hp, this is a job for an ACS355 or ACS550. The ACS850 is serious overkill x 2.

an acs850 on a fan????????? Does the instructor have any real world experience or is the class about doing things the hard or even the hardest way.

Russb's suggestions are all good. Keep it simple. This can be done with one toggle switch and the vfd. In fact, could be done with only the keypad start/stop button and no toggle switch. Just the vfd out of the box.

But seriously, depending on the hp, this is a job for an acs355 or acs550. The acs850 is serious overkill x 2.
+1.

You don't need DriveSPC to do anything I suggested, you don't even need Drive Windows Lite, it can all be done through the on-board display/control panel. And wiring a toggle or Push buttons to a couple of inputs.
And you don't want to use torque control for a fan, unless maybe you want to detect when someone gets caught in it.

As a school project I suggest that you consult with your instructor for what's best for your situation.

No I meant that under the Torque control Macro, you can change it to speed control and then via analogue input, control the speed.

My teacher doesn't know how to use the drive. My task is to set it up to run at variable speed. The reason I suggested driveSPC is because you mentioned connecting it to a HMI. It would also allow him to easily program the drive, right?

An ACS850 on a fan????????? Does the instructor have any real world experience or is the class about doing things the hard or even the hardest way.

RussB's suggestions are all good. Keep it simple. This can be done with one toggle switch and the VFD. In fact, could be done with only the keypad Start/Stop button and no toggle switch. Just the VFD out of the box.

But seriously, depending on the hp, this is a job for an ACS355 or ACS550. The ACS850 is serious overkill x 2.

No idea, I think someone who used to work at my uni was meant to set it up and they purchased the 850. Their goal (and my supervisors) was to create a wind tunnel using 64 fans. My teacher wants me to figure out a way to control it for Variable speeds (he keeps suggesting we create a control program) and then after we've finished, he wants to adapt our work to be able to work with more fans.

No I meant that under the Torque control Macro, you can change it to speed control and then via analogue input, control the speed.

My teacher doesn't know how to use the drive. My task is to set it up to run at variable speed. The reason I suggested driveSPC is because you mentioned connecting it to a HMI. It would also allow him to easily program the drive, right?
You have 'DriveStudio' that should be good to set the drives parameters and monitor the drive.

No idea, I think someone who used to work at my uni was meant to set it up and they purchased the 850. Their goal (and my supervisors) was to create a wind tunnel using 64 fans. My teacher wants me to figure out a way to control it for Variable speeds (he keeps suggesting we create a control program) and then after we've finished, he wants to adapt our work to be able to work with more fans.
What size are those 64 motors and what size is your drive? No easy feat there, good luck. o_O

You have 'DriveStudio' that should be good to set the drives parameters and monitor the drive.
Totally forgot about this thread. Just want to say thanks again for your help.

I ended up using an Arduino Uno to produce PWM signals and controlled the drive via the analogue inputs. My teacher really just wanted to produce a sinusoidal motor speed so I couldn't really see any other way to do it.

What size are those 64 motors and what size is your drive? No easy feat there, good luck. o_O

It's a 45kW drive, and the motor that it's currently running is a Flaktwoods 2.1kW 630mm diameter fan. They also have a ~1150mm diameter Weg fan. Not sure on the specs as the sticker is really dirty.

I think they'll be trying some smaller fans because the current one seems to be limited to a 0.5Hz fan speed oscillation. Ideally they need something which can reverse direction quickly so they can simulate turbulent winds.