Acronyms

KevinR

I have only been in this industry for a very short time, but I have come across some acronyms and their meanings which I am not quite grasping. Searching google doesn't give me a clear understanding on these, so I thought I'd ask the people that are in the business... If you could help me understand in a physical plant sense what these mean and how they're applied, I would be grateful:

MES (Manufacturing Execution System)
PAT (Process Analytical Technology) - Something to do with pharma regulations?
SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Aquisition) - Something like a centralized system/database/historian for a plant/process?

Thanks!

Not sure MES, but PAT in the UK is usually to do with testing the physical robustness and safety of portable electrical appliances. Usually this means that the power cable is safe to use.

SCADA is as you said. It oversees the process and gathers information and from it, you can initiate and stop processes etc.

KevinR said:
I have only been in this industry for a very short time, but I have come across some acronyms and their meanings which I am not quite grasping. Searching google doesn't give me a clear understanding on these, so I thought I'd ask the people that are in the business... If you could help me understand in a physical plant sense what these mean and how they're applied, I would be grateful:

MES (Manufacturing Execution System)
PAT (Process Analytical Technology) - Something to do with pharma regulations?
SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Aquisition) - Something like a centralized system/database/historian for a plant/process?

Thanks!
SCADA - The only thing I would like to add is that it is also man machine interface with all the above qualities mentioned by you.

Could I get a concrete example of some of these ideas? Googling and getting the definitions still leaves it too broad as to what they really mean...

FAT = Factory Acceptance Test.

This is usually testing the code before it gets to site with the customer witnessing. If the customer is not satisfied then the code would have to be modified and re-tested. These tests are normally through simulation of the plant.

PAT I would presume from the above to be the same as the UK's SAT (Site Acceptance Test). In the UK PAT = Portable Appliance Testing (not the same thing at all :sick:).

This is where the equiment is tested in front of the customer to show that it achieves the design criteria. Real code, real equipment, real product.

The test cases for both of the above should be made with reference to the design, normally an FDS (Functional Design Specification).