adaptascan upload/download not selectable

russrmartin

Hi gents. I have a slight problem with an adaptascan barcode reader. Actually, the barcode reader is working fine, but what I need to do is get the configuration out of it and on a server to sort of back it up. My problem is this. With everything all hooked up, I click on the go online tab. The software reads the network, and then pulls up the barcode reader I am talking to. By the way, I am using the configuration port on the reader, talking serially to my laptop. I get a device name, network ID, and such, and the configuration indicator is yellow, idicating that I have not compared the configs. The problem here is that the tabs for uploading, downloading, comparing, are grayed, so I cannot grab them. It's almost as if I'm half online. The labels tab, firmware tab, and monitor tab are the only ones in the project box that are selectable. I am wondering if perhaps I have the wrong cable for the reader I have. It came from Accusort, along with the software. Has anyone seen this, is there something I am missing?

Russ

P.S. Under the view, preferences I do have the configuration port selected.

This sounds like you have a new reader right out of the box and has not been configured. I only have this problem when I get a new one. I then click on the firmware tab and update the firmware to the lastest. Then everything is accessible.

ideas

Bruce,

Actually, the barcode scanner is not brand new, but about 6 years old. It is functioning fine, but we just acquired the software for it. I am trying to upload the configuration and firmware or whatever else may need to be so that I can save it to a server for when it does take the big nap. Are you suggesting that my troubles lie in the firmware not being known. If so, can I upload the firmware out of the scanner? The manual does not really seem to address this much.

Russ

That would be my first suggestion (the firmware). I am currently running 11 but I have had version 8 on BCRs that I installed six years ago. I have never been able to upload the firmware from the scanner.

If you select the yellow reader, can you then do a compare? The only time I've seen that you can't do an upload/download is when there is no project in the reader or if you have a blank (new) project opened or if you haven't selected the reader.

ok

Bruce,

You hit the nail right on the head when you said,

"The only time I've seen that you can't do an upload/download is when there is no project in the reader or if you have a blank (new) project opened..."

I do have a brand new project open. I would like to fill it with the info that is inside the reader, much like uploading the program from a PLC. From your posts, I am beginning to think that I can not do this. It really sounds to me like these need to be setup from scratch, and that there is no way to upload out of the reader unless you already have some sort of .cfg file for it, which I do not. Am I SOL?

Russ

P.S. When I am online, and I select the reader showing a yellow configuration icon, the only things selectable are the Monitor, Firmware, Labels and New tabs. If I try to update the firmware in the reader, could that cause it to stop communicating with my devicenet network? I don't want to do anything to jeopardize the operation, as it is functional right now. I would just like to be more prepared for when it isn't, along with being able to adjust the focus if needed, as we have had to manually move the reader a little bit to get it to read again.