Adding A comment to a location

Prayder

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am in the process of building a new program in RSLogix 5000 and was wondering... how do I add a comment to a specific location within the rung? everything I try the option to Edit Main Operand Description is greyed out...

Are you On Line with the controller? It appears not since you say you're creating a new program...
I can't speak for THAT because I am at the library and cannot get on line with my processor to test, but I just tried off line and I can right click over a tag and have a "non greyed" edit main operand ; and I can also double click on program tags or controller tags in the controller organizer and in EDIT TAGS add or change the description for any specific tag and it reflects the change above that tag.

It appears clear you are not speaking of a rung comment but a tag comment. A rung comment can be added with a right click just to the right of the rung number then edit rung comment, then your rung comment window opens.

Also If by chance you have entered the tag in your ladder logic but have not "created it yet", (by right clicking on it, then clicking new tag and creating it), the edit main operand will be grayed out, so it must be a tag that has been created and in the data base program or controller before the edit main operand can be used, AND when you create the tag the description box allows you to enter the description that will be seen above the tag in your ladder logic. Hope this helped,

Be aware I am a newbie,(3 months now so read at your own risk)

Good luck,

Jeff

Last edited:
As well as not having "created" newly added tags preventing editing, another thing that probably catches a lot of beginners out in RSLogix 5000 / Logix Designer...

When you open Controller Scoped tags, or Program Scoped tags, the tag editor provides two tabs at the bottom - "Monitor Tags", and "Edit Tags".

Viewing your tags under the "Monitor Tags" tab only permits monitoring, and not editing. It's usually used while online for viewing tag values, or even changing them. If you switch to the "Edit Tags" tab, then the "greyed out" fields, that should be editable, should now be available.

Unfortunately, you cannot set which of the two tabs it defaults to. It opens on the most commonly used tab for the particular computer.

Also, under your Display settings for the Ladder Editor, check that "Show Main Operand Descriptions" is enabled.

Regards,
George