Adding Flex I/O Module

scseider

If a 16 point discrete output Flex I/O was inserted between the controller and another discrete module, what major changes would need to be done?

I assume the slot ID would need to change for all other modules proceeding the newly inserted one, but would that cause issues with the already written tags in the logic?

Unfortunately the current layout in the control panel would not allow the module to be installed at the end which would make configuration easy.

I assume the slot ID would need to change for all other modules proceeding the newly inserted one, but would that cause issues with the already written tags in the logic?
That is correct. The slot number for all the modules that will be shifted will change, meaning you need to fix all the instructions in the program that refer to IO from these modules.

Which network adapter are you using; RIO, CNet, DNet, EtherNet/IP ?

In general, FLEX adapters identify their attached modules and configure their Adapter data size to match every time they boot up, so you don't have to change the "Chassis Size" setting like you do with POINT I/O.

So just replace all the tags referencing everything to the right of the inserted module with the Slot # + 1 and you should be good to go.

Ken's post pretty well covers what you would need to do to get it working, but I'm just going to throw something in for consideration...

If the wire numbers on the existing I/O are constructed in such a way as to reference their I/O point, you may find that now all your wire numbers are misleading/wrong.

For example, if I have a chassis named X5, with a digital input module in slot 3, then the wire number for input 2 on that module would be X5:03i02. Chassis X5, slot 3, input 2.

If slot 3 now becomes slot 4, all of my wire numbers are going to be wrong.

You can either shrug your shoulders and leave it that way, in which case I hate you, or you can painstakingly re-number every single I/O device downstream of your change, at both the I/O rack itself, at the field devices, and at any intermediate terminal strips and junction boxes. And then update all your drawings to match.

How hard is it really to put that new module at the end of the chassis? ;)