AdvancedHMI and FactoryTalk View SE on same computer

A_G

Lifetime Supporting Member
I would like to temporarily install AdvancedHMI on the same computer as FactoryTalk View SE. I am waiting for another contractor to finish the FTV SE HMI project but don't know when it will be ready. In the meantime I was thinking of using AdvancedHMI temporarily to let the customer see the runtime values of certain data points in the PLC. Does anyone see any issues with this? I do not want the AdvancedHMI installation to somehow interfere with/break the FTV SE installation. I have never used AdvancedHMI before so I don't have experince with this. Thanks in advance for any advice!

I see no reason why there would be a conflict between SE and Visual Studio. To be super safe, just develop your AHMI application on a different computer, then copy the debug folder with all of the compiled executables in it to the SE computer. That way, you don't have to install anything, just run the compiled project.

The programs should not interfere with each other, but what is the comm's method?

If it's serial using a COM port on the computer then only one program can use, and thus lock-up, the COM port which would then give the other program a communication fault

If it's Ethernet then multiple programs can be used at the same time

Not sure about the old KTX and DH+ cards ability for multi use

The programs should not interfere with each other, but what is the comm's method?

If it's serial using a COM port on the computer then only one program can use, and thus lock-up, the COM port which would then give the other program a communication fault

Great point.