Advantech/Schneider (Modicon) Generator Control

Kev77

Hi,

I have an older Kohler Generator/ATS controller that has a Schneider Electric (Modicon) Momentum PLC and has a Advantech HMI. I assume this system was installed in the early 2000's. We have an upgrade to this system scheduled for spring when we do our annual shutdown.

We had a contractor come out last week to do the scheduled maintenance on the generator engine and when they do this. The ATS goes into alarm because the generator is not available. When the contractors are done, they go and clear the alarm on the HMI and is ready in the event of a power outage. Only this time, the advantech HMI started having an issue.

The Advantech HMI is a EAutomation series, Model TPC-1261H-A1E. It doesn't have an on-board hard drive. It uses the compact flash as it's hard drive. When booting up, BOIS loads and then I get the Advantech splash screen where it hangs up. I get the following messsage:

"HIMEM.SYS must be loaded
Bad or missing Command Interpreter: load.exe c:\wince\nk.bin
Enter the full shell command line:"

I was able to pull the card and connect it to my laptop. It appears that all the HMI files are there but the WindowsCE files are not.

What I would like to do is either rebuild the card and see if it will work or install a HMI that we can use until we get our upgraded controls. If this is not possible, I can install something like a maple systems screen with the basic functions.

I am not familiar with Advantech so I'm not sure what software or version I would need to be able to open the screens. From what I have been able to find, It looks like Advantech Studio. If I have the development software and the files that were running on the HMI. is that enough to be able to open the screens to see the PLC addresses? I also noticed that the CF files have a database folder and has a .txt file that might be useful if I know the format.

Is there anyone out there who is familiar with older Advantech hardware?

Hi all,

I wanted to see if anyone out there would know where I can get a copy of Advantech Studio? I have reached out to Advantech and they basically said there is nothing that they can do for me and they don't sell this software any more.

The issue I am having seems to be with the Windows CE operating system. I'm hoping to be able to create a dummy applications to get windows CE to load then I can copy over the Advantech runtime files.

Thanks,

Kevin

The 'developer' still exists as Indusoft. I can't say on their behalf whether they still support Windows CE. Windows CE 5 went End of Support in 2014.

:in 2012 - the last time I interacted with them - they converted AStudio App to IWS.

Thanks for the info...

I was able to get the HMI back online. It turns out that Windows needs available memory to run! :ROFLMAO:

I went to load the application onto an old Panelview Plus that runs on Windows CE and I was getting an error for file size. It got me thinking about the size of the flash drive (128 mb) and I found that the alarm history file had gotten so big that it didnt have any available memory to run windows. I deleted 15 years of alarms and it booted up fine. I sometimes forget that memory used to be an issue!

Time for a controls upgrade I think!

Kevin