Advice for a new integration Engineer

Cotafam

Hello all, I am looking for advice as I set myself for this new career path. I need advice on a couple of things. What sort of tooling will I need? I have written down Laptop, side monitor, wire crimpers, extra wire/connectors, etc. The work involved will be basically adding our gateways to existing systems to monitor machine data, OEE for example. We work well with EIP AB, MODBUS, OPC UA, and MTCONNECT. We use serial or ethernet to begin communications. So the main question:

What tools do you recommend and cabling?

When I come across protocols that we do not support what is the best way to monitor that data? Adding our own I/O that runs to a small PLC then back to the gateway? What type of I/O or PLC would you recommend?

What Software would you recommend? Wireshark? I doubt I need studio as we will only be pulling tags not adjusting any logic.

Thank you all

If you are an employee of a company, which as a newbie is probably peferred, most of the equipment you will need should be supplied by the employer.

Hi Tom, you're correct normally. This is a newer company for the US and they are asking for my thoughts on what I might need for the role. Nothing out of pocket on my end.

I would add a good digital meter - a Fluke or similar. Also a 4-20 mA loop simulator. For CAD a basin program like TurboCad or similar is sufficient.

Fluke T5-1000.
Fluke 772, for checking and sourcing 4-20mA.
Don't have one yet myself, but jump onto plc-cable website and get an Ethernet/IP tool.
ModPoll etc software, for checking ModBus values before they get to the PLC. Pay for the license. USB->RS485 converter for ModBus RTU.

If you work with a lot of serial, search this forum (posts by Ken Roach), for recommendations on serial sniffers.

Decent bootlace ferrule crimpers e.g. Knipex 97 55 04

There is a version of Logix that is read-only, I believe.

A lightweight toolbox that everything fits in. Assortment of colour-coded bootlace ferrules. Box of assorted 5x20 fuses.

Gas soldering iron. Heatshrink.

USB A->B cables.
9-pin d-sub solder buckets, male, female, to make serial leads on the go.
Pre-make a serial crossover:
2-3
3-2
5-5
M-F

Head torch.
Coffee machine =)

So....something to be aware of. If you are NOT a licensed electrician, it may not be wise to do wiring task, on other peoples equipment. Metering devices, yes. Wiring, and crimpers, no. It is a liability thing. So, you supervise an electrical/instrument tech, but don't do any of the work. Especially if it is a union shop/plant.

If you are an employee of a company, which as a newbie is probably peferred, most of the equipment you will need should be supplied by the employer.

Of all the factories and shops I have worked in the only things the business owned was machinery (drill press, welder, lathe, mill) and specialty calibration equipment.

Every maintenance tech and machine operator that has a toolbox had their own tools.

The companies on their own couldn't come up with a screwdriver or wrench.

Edit: I hired into a powdercoating shop, at the interview was told I was hired, start Monday and here's a 3 page list of the tools you WILL bring in Monday

Plus, go ask a mechanic at the local car dealership how much he has invested in tools, and sometimes the calibration equipment (plus how much he owes the Snap-On truck which is why he can't quit and get a better job, as he would have to pay that balance off to leave)

So....something to be aware of. If you are NOT a licensed electrician, it may not be wise to do wiring task, on other peoples equipment. Metering devices, yes. Wiring, and crimpers, no. It is a liability thing. So, you supervise an electrical/instrument tech, but don't do any of the work. Especially if it is a union shop/plant.

Good call and noted