Alan-Bradley vs. Siemens

I wonder how many here have to pay for this out of their own pocket, as in being a single contractor, or have their companies pay the bill. :hand up:

Though not perfect I consider it as the cost of doing business and as Tom stated, it might be difficult without it. Last year it was about 5% of gross and yeah I wish it wasn't there but it can save time and that's where the payback is.
Last year I paid for RA's Toolkit and GE Proficy Machine Edition; the latter got me the software but the worst support I could conceive. Literally days and once more than a week to get back with me and they couldn't provide an answer. Luckily the customer filled me in on some of the tripfalls. I won't be renewing the support contract with GE-IP.

How did that work out for ya :)

I don't think anyone expects it for free... but we are paying for the software and paying for the hardware, so why not let customers have access to the website knowledge base, I get 5-10 calls a day for support, I have never asked to be paid for it because I supply a part and a service

Its not like we are buying a cheap PLC, we are paying a premium price

Where did he say he was comparing the S7 1200 to a CLX?

GIT

I never said I agree with the pricing structure but per my previous post free is not the answer either at least not when you are on a large scale like AB.

People quote ADC's free support a lot but I know someone on the ADC tech team and the free model is almost more problem than it's worth.

Charge a small price and you don't have the issues that come with free. AB support prices are very high and not very granular.

I agree the KB should be free. Having free downloads of your software opens you up for piracy. Not saying that pirates don't succeed as I know how to crack AB activation if I wanted and it's not that hard but not have open FTP downloads of your titles does deter the casual pirate.

I am deep enough on the darker side of computing to tell you these are cold hard facts.

You can not compare S7 1200 to Compact logix or S7 TIA Portal to RS5K.
S7 1200 is piece of $hit.Its less then ML1400.More ML1500.

If someone want to open the issue Siemens Vs AB.
Please start thread Siemens Vs AB features.
Maybe then we will know who the best.
I have list of thing why AB not Siemens.I use both.
I pay more for AB because my time is value and programming and debugging with AB is faster.
I don't think the "Siemens Vs AB" thread would be a good idea Arik, I am wishing I hadn't started this thread! I value each and every member here and this seems to have drawn some lines of division here which I am not fond of. Next time I will let off steam another way. :oops:

On the other end of the anecdotal spectrum: Every time I've called Tech Connect my issue has been resolved.
I am really not trying to throw fuel onto the fire here but.......... many of my questions posted here are because AB Support didn't have the answer. You guys beat the heck out of any tech support, as far as I am concerned!

I am wishing I hadn't posted this!

LOL... I have had a few of them myself over the years, just remember

In the end we are all just PLC programming friends sitting at a bar after a long day having a conversation and nobody will remember this in the morning 🍻

I don't know why everyone is arguing over support. If it's a software bug or hardware issue, I would take a hard look at the supplier and manufacturer.

This was exactly my original point. I was taking a "hard look at the manufacturer", and venting a little, because I was expected to pay for an $11k support contract for out-dated software that one very old process here uses.

The one I cussed the least, quite frankly, was AutomationDirect.
I have two vacuum furnaces that use Automation Direct PLC's and I have to agree, they are easy to program, troubleshoot, and the support is there, if needed. Unfortunately it isn't my call. My superior says either Siemens or Allen-Bradley so, those are my choices.