allen bradley 1747-UIC to "standard" 485

realolman

I have a AB 1747-UIC USB to DH 485 converter

Can I use that to connect to a watlow controller EZzone with "standard bus EIA 485" ?

connections on watlow:

CF- common

CE- T-/R-

CD- T+/R+

Where can I get pinout of the 1747-UIC?

thank you

I have one of those controllers. I was peeved when I received it and realized there was no cable for connecting it to be able to use the supplied software to set it up. I ended up just using it over Ethernet/IP to communicate. I know that does not help you with set up as the key pad and menu navigation can be a pain.

The 1747-UIC is not just an electrical interface converter. (USB to DH485). Its also a protocol converter. (DF1 to DH485).

So unless your controller supports DH485 protocol ( doubtful) then its not going to work.

What are you trying to connect the controller to?

What protocol does the controller support?

Its a heat controller with a thermocouple probe. As was posted earlier navigation through the menu is a pain
It comes w software but no cord only terminals on the controller
The converters dont seem to b very expensive but i didnt have one
I DID have the A B thing
Curious ... If i had the pinout to the AB converter how it would change
The signals from the watlow software to some other protocol
Obviously i have no understanding of the DH stuff
But then if that would work, a 10 dollar usb to485 converter would talk to AB PLCS.
SEems unlikely AB would let that happen

Last edited:
When I first started selling aftermarket cables I was making the 1747-PIC with a RS485 data converter and it worked good... I have never tried to go the other way so not sure if it would work. When it comes to the 1747-UIC its a little different, we are now on our 3rd version and you are correct, you will not find a USB to RS485 that will work

If I remember correct the pinout is 1 and 2 are the read and write and 5 being the ground (if you are going to try) but you can google it to find out

I also still sell the RS485 and RS422 adapters if you still need one, I still use them on some cables like the IDEC and 1745-PCC