Allen-Bradley CompactLogix w/ B&R X20 I/O - Tutorial

That's the slickest third-party I/O Logix integration I have ever witnessed...Thanks Shawn...(y)

One question might arise though...Can you do Produce/Consume (or something similar) between a Logix controller and a (ABB) B&R X20 CPU?...Couldn't help noticing that the Backplane concept has migrated to Austria several years ago...And now they're counting the revenue in ZĂĽrich...:D

Last edited:
Good question, I can test this out -- but I believe ABB&R CPU would connect via E/IP and you could use Generic CIP Messaging between the two.

Good question, I can test this out -- but I believe ABB&R CPU would connect via E/IP and you could use Generic CIP Messaging between the two.

Shawn, any EIP communication capable processor could Explicit Message data to/from any similar devices; but this is programmaticaly implemented.

Produce/Consume Logix CPUs expose their tags and I/O to each other implicitly without the need of coding; it is a cyclic (I/O Class) high speed data transfer not related to any user implemented logic.

It could be similar to the way you have added the B&R EIP Scanner and the associated I/O to the RSL5K application I/O tree via the compiled .L5K B&R Export application you used to create the CompactLogix one.

oops, I overlooked the produce/consume part.

When I try to add the E/IP scanner to a project with an existing B&R CPU it will error out "cannot add second CPU" - so in that manner I would say it's not possible.