Allen Bradley Load Observer/Tracking Notch Filter

bgbbgb246

Using the CompactLogix 5370 and Kinetix 5500, I am in at the point in a project that I need to begin tuning servos. The configuration involves a belt from the servo to a ball screw. Spinning of the ball screw moves a motor. There is little to no inertia during a movement due to mechanical resistance. Off the shelf with the drives configured to the model number of the servo, the servos don't whine but act as if they are tuned a little tight. Playing around with the servo tuning features, I found two main methods. One is using the auto tuning feature. This feature suggest values but still creates a whine of which still seems to need to be tuned out.

The second method is using the Load Observer/Tracking Notch Filter. I followed the process in this YouTube video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5IWjict3h4

This process seems to work pretty well however my only issue is that after every power cycle the Tracking Notch Filter has to re-track the frequency of the noise and filter it. This results in a 1 or 2 second whining noise at the time of the first MSO after a power cycle. This noise is undesirable in my application.

Is there any way to use the adaptive tuning while still avoiding this initial startup whine? Why does the drive start fresh every power cycle? Also, is there a second step for using the Autotune feature to avoid the constant whining?

Thank you

Hey bud, welcome to the forum. Usually before auto-tuning, I do a hook-up test also. I'm unsure what the differences are between hook-up test and auto-tune, but that might be what you are missing.