Allen Bradley MCC intellicenter

remullis

I have added two new buckets into an existing MCC. I have setup the nodes and I can see the new E3's in DeviceNET. I am needing to get the configuration of the inputs and outputs through a 1788 devicenet scanner.

How do I go about configuring to the plc and getting these on the scanlist? At this point I want to do a download but it tells me the PLC is in Run mode. I have authorization to take this I/O rack down Monday and do what I need to do. Can someone give me step by step the proper method to do this? Or the literature link.

Thanks
Rich

Are you getting a prompt like "OK to switch processor to Program Mode?" IIRC the PLC must be in program mode to download a scanlist.

No I just get the PLC is in RUN mode. I was told I would need to disable the MCC in the PLC, not sure what tag that is.

You can use the physical keyswitch on the Allen Bradley PLC to switch from RUN or REMOTE to PROGRAM, or you can use the drop-down menu in the AB PLC software to switch from REM RUN to PROGRAM (if the physical keyswitch is in the REM position).

If you didn't already know about the PLC modes, then making these changes may be something you should not attempt. Don't get in water over your head without a life preserver (someone to help you).

Last edited:
It sounds like you're using a 1788-CN2DN or 1788-EN2DN DeviceNet to ControlNet or EtherNet/IP bridge.

Both of those have a RUN bit as an Output data tag, just like a slot-mounted scanner would.

To place the xx2DN scanner into Idle mode, you just have to set that bit false. You do not have to actually put the PLC into Program Mode; that message text is left over from the 1771-SDN and 1747-SDN where you actually did have to put the PLC into Program Mode to download a scanlist to a DeviceNet scanner.

The 1756-DNB scanner got "Scanlist Changes in Runtime" features a few years ago, but I don't know if the 1788-CN2DN or 1788-EN2DN have that feature today. When released, neither one did.