Allen Bradley you are a swine

I feel your pain

Havent dealt much with a 100/150 though as far as doing on board repairs.

One of my specialties is the ability to do onboard repairs...given the fact that the components can be found or substituted. On many boards I have found OEM components that you can not find replacements for. When I was in business for myself I did alot of repairs on boards or electronic cards. Many of these cards were not that sophisticated but components were not available, in many situations I found people conducive to upgrading..especially on an older machine.

Overall AB products can be cursed for many things...pricing, support, etc. Reliabilty I do not think has ever been an issue in most cases.

As far as doing on board repairs to any board pertaining to anything...it aint always EZ. In my personal posession is a variety of testing tools...B&K oscilloscope (dual channel), Fluke 123, Huntron Tracker, signal generators, diode/scr tester (itty bitty tester), capacitor tester, Fluke multimeters, amp probes, high voltage amprobes/voltage tester, power supplies...the list goes on, in many cases we are only as good as our equipment..ie without it we wouldnt/couldnt determine the problem.

At least that "thing" wasnt convered with a clear plastic coating that prevented the components from being removed.

Good topic tho...allows some to vent and those that have vented before look at the overall picture.

Ok OK, perhaps my comments were not meant to be a total annihilation of AB’s name although to some it would seem like it.
It was more frustration and spur of the moment stuff.(hehehe, but that was yesterday eh)
I know the thing had worked for 20 years and now will probably chug on for another 20. I would call that pretty reliable.

I know the world has changed into a disposable world and the term ‘uneconomical repair’ has slipped into service engineers everyday language. (the local dump is full of VCR’s, monitors and TV’s that probably have only minor faults)
but in this case what would you do?

The machine was not working, I was not the first on the scene - 2 others had attempted repairs, one had rewired the outgoing circuit, the other changed the solenoid valve. The result was, it was still the same – the valve intermittently chattering.

Along comes Goody, he checks the voltage at the output and he sees the voltage fluctuating while the output light is steady. A talk with the manager – new plc or attempt internal repair. Of course he is going to go with the faster and cheaper option.

I am a business man too and I know which I would rather have done but business is not all about making as much money as you can, as fast as you can.

I did not expect too many problems by opening the box but as you know by now, I did.
Halfway in, it crossed my mind to turn back and change tack but I am made of stronger stuff than that.

The result is a better than before machine because I also replaced the older blown output (it controlled a warning lamp) The customer knows the rest of the outputs are 20 years old and I will not be going back in there for another repair.

I might end up with, as they say in Yorkshire where I live – ‘the bun and the ha’penny’ (what does that mean to the yanks hehehehe)

As Ron says, it has been a good topic with some interesting opinions, I am surprised Terry hasn’t give me a bit of good natured stick, last I heard he was moving to England. Maybe he is going to call on me looking for work, so he is holding back :p

Goody said:
I might end up with, as they say in Yorkshire where I live – ‘the bun and the ha’penny’ (what does that mean to the yanks hehehehe)

I don't know about the 'Yanks' Goodie, you should also ask what that means to us southerners (South of England - that is) because I have not got a clue either, next time I speak to my old mate from 'up north' (Doncaster) I will have to ask him!

Paul

"Bun and the Penny"...

This must be a VERY local saying Goody. A search for "bun and the penny" on Google turns up only one page of hits... :confused:

So tell us Goody... Is it similar to "You can't have your cake and eat it too"?... :confused:

beerchug

-Eric

Yep that’s it – a derivative of ‘you can’t have your cake and eat it’
Literally meaning; you can have one or the other but not both.

A bun in the UK is what I think you call a cup-cake and a ha’penny is a half penny. (pronounced ape-nee) :D

"Christmas is coming,
the goose is getting fat.
Please put a penny in the old man's hat.

If you 'aven't got a penny, a ha'penny will do.
If you haven't got a ha'penny, then God Bless You..."