Altivar 71 Square D

I am considering disabling the Output Phase Loss alarm on an Altivar drive. At this point it's more trouble than its worth. We get the alarm all the time because operators drop the disconnect and the drive goes into alarm.

Will having the drive run with the disconnect down harm the drive?

They're opening a downstream disconnect with the drive output turned on ?

It's one thing to attempt to start a drive with the output totally disconnected; that doesn't harm anything.

But opening the circuit while current is flowing is, by my understanding, a good way to damage the power transistors.

Unless the resetting of the fault is more hassle than a new drive is worth, I'd say the circumstances are forcing you to confront a process or procedural issue.

If your disconnect has an auxiliary contact that will break before the power contacts do, you could run that back to the drive to disable it before the power is actually disconnected. That might prevent the phase loss fault and protect the drive from damage. But the best thing to do is to make sure the drive is stopped before the operators open its disconnect.

Last edited:
Opening a set of contacts on the output of a VFD is a setup for blowing transistors. As contacts open, they strike an arc until the dielectric of the air in the separation of the contacts is enough to extinguish it. Because technically the output of a VFD is DC pulses, that arc lasts longer than it otherwise would, and the voltage across the contacts increases as the separation starts to act like a capacitor. This sets up a condition in which the voltage on the output of the transistors becomes very high, usually high enough to cause the silicon layers making up the switch portion of the transistor to get microscopic burn through holes. That damage is not usually immediately noticeable but it is incremental; it keeps getting worse every time you do it until the transistor shorts and ruptures. It's all over then and the damage is often spread out across the drive to where it isn't repairable.

But other than that, no problemo...

As mentioned, you should never open contacts down stream of a VFD that is running a motor. If your operators are too lazy to follow simple rules, you must add an aux. contact in the disconnect switch wired back to one of the drive inputs programmed to disable the transistors (base block) so that by the time the main contacts of the disconnect open, the transistors are already turned off and not conducting.

Opening a set of contacts on the output of a VFD is a setup for blowing transistors. As contacts open, they strike an arc until the dielectric of the air in the separation of the contacts is enough to extinguish it. Because technically the output of a VFD is DC pulses, that arc lasts longer than it otherwise would, and the voltage across the contacts increases as the separation starts to act like a capacitor. This sets up a condition in which the voltage on the output of the transistors becomes very high, usually high enough to cause the silicon layers making up the switch portion of the transistor to get microscopic burn through holes. That damage is not usually immediately noticeable but it is incremental; it keeps getting worse every time you do it until the transistor shorts and ruptures. It's all over then and the damage is often spread out across the drive to where it isn't repairable.

But other than that, no problemo...

As mentioned, you should never open contacts down stream of a VFD that is running a motor. If your operators are too lazy to follow simple rules, you must add an aux. contact in the disconnect switch wired back to one of the drive inputs programmed to disable the transistors (base block) so that by the time the main contacts of the disconnect open, the transistors are already turned off and not conducting.

I love reading stuff like this.
I knew I should have gone to school.

I should have added:

If you use a UL98 listed disconnect switch, ie a "knife switch" type, the aux contacts are operated by the handle mechanism and are always going to be "early break", meaning they open BEFORE the main contacts open. If you use a cheaper IEC style rotary disconnect that is only UL508 listed, the aux contacts may or may not operate that way because unlike UL98, it's not a requirement. So just be careful.