Altivar VFD with ControlLogix via ethernet/IP

emroy

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am looking at a project where we would be using ControlLogix PLCs and have a Square D MCC.(For financial reasons haha) The VFDs will have ethernet/IP communications and the Square D rep tells us that they will work with our ControlLogix PLCs.
Looking around the internet I have not found very much info on how well this set up works. Does anyone have any insight into this type of setup?

The ATV61 and ATV71 drives have a ethernet/IP option card available. I have used this card with a SCL 5/05 and it worked well. The manual for the ethernet/IP card has detailed instructions for setting up communications with a ControlLogix PLC.

It will be Altivar 61 and Altivar 71 drives.

Vic, Thanks.

How much of a hassle is it to set them up?

It should be fairly straight forward with a ControlLogix PLC but probable not as easy as with a PowerFlex drive. The SCL 5/05 was a little more challenging if you are not an expert on Ethernet/IP

It should be fairly straight forward with a ControlLogix PLC but probable not as easy as with a PowerFlex drive. The SCL 5/05 was a little more challenging if you are not an expert on Ethernet/IP

Thanks,

Hopefully I will be able to get one for testing and that should make it a lot easier come startup time.

No you dont need any software on the atv side, besides the dtm for that drive.
The rest can be done on the face of the drive

Altivar EIP manual - Using assemblies 100-101

Agreed with previous posters about checking out the Altivar 61/71 EIP manual. There is some info about the setting up the assemblies appropriately.

http://static.schneider-electric.us.../ATV71 Communication Options/30072-452-35.pdf

On pg. 13 there is a description of using assemblies 100 and 101 to connect to the I/O scanner of the drive. This is one option.

A screencap from the document attached.

Assembly100-101 to ATV-IOScanner.jpg

No you dont need any software on the atv side, besides the dtm for that drive.
The rest can be done on the face of the drive
Thank u! I m gng to use Studio 5000 for my project.For analog output,we gng to use ethernet Schneider VFD.On google,i read abt rsnetworx for ethernet purpose.Is that we need it for allen bradly.

Again Thanks in advance!

Hema

Here is the AOI I created to work with Altivar 71s via ethernet. It is not fancy but it works fine for mapping the tags over to a readable format. The AOI tag format is similar to powerflex drives.
View attachment 38380

You seem to have a handle on these Altivar drives. Any chance you could take a look at this thread and see if you can help me? The more I look at this the less I know.
For example, I have my connection set up to use assemblies 100 and 101, yet if I am guessing right, I am looking at ODVA data at 2a/1/7 .

Here is an example program showing the generic Ethernet module mapped to the AOI.
It is in v20 or RSLogix5000.

emroy,

Thank you, very enlightening.
I originally created tags using the datatype, but I see now that the tags are automatically created. Just gotta set them up in the scanner and read them.

Last edited: