Am I wasting my time?

All I've been able to figure out so far is that we use a host/database/RF server. The program language they use is steeplechase VLC. I've seen it pop up on the scp on ocasion when they're toying with the system remotely. It looks like a flow chart PLC programming language. Any of the other software addressed in the manual is basically a WMS used for sortarion ect... I'm pretty sure it's preprietory and not worth learning in great depth though. None of the other names listed have cropped up yet but I'll keep digging.

Steeplechase is a flowchart-style logic controller. An example of a "soft" PLC which runs on a PC with a Microsoft operating system instead of a stand-alone PLC.
I don't have much experience with Steeplechase except for having attended a training session almost twenty years ago. At the time I was working for a distributor that handled Cutler Hammer products and C-H was selling Steeplechase under their own brand name. They were using DeviceNet for the communications between Steeplechase and the I/O devices.
I remember the first lab in the Steeplechase class was to program a motor starter with momentary start and stop pushbuttons and an auxiliary contact from the starter to seal the coil on. It took a couple of pages of flowchart to do it. I remarked at the time that I found it ironic that they chose that example since it would have been so much simpler using ladder logic. The instructor looked at me like I'd called his wife a whore.

I've been where you are. It's like a glass ceiling.

At the time, I was a CNC technician, making top merit pay (which, at this company wasn't great), been with the company for 15 years, couldn't go any farther up in the company, and I couldn't use my degree (BS, Electrical Engineering).

I jumped. Different state (US) and company. Loved it. 4 1/2 years later, they laid off the entire maintenance department. Went through several jobs until I found one that fit. Been in it for almost 9 years now.

Know what you are good at and what you want to do. Plan on improving your skills. Get yourself a "hook" - if things don't work out, your hook will open doors to another job. Mine was my degree.

Also, if you do jump to another job, plan on getting dirty - jump in with both feet and put everything you've got into it.

Personally, I'm glad I did it. It changed my life and my family's for the better. BUT everyone is different.

So to answer your question "Am I wasting my time?", let me ask you two: Does your drive to work seem a lot longer now than it used to? Do you dread that drive? My answer to both questions was 'yes' - and it still took me about a year to make up my mind.

I hope this helps. Good luck and let all of us know.