Analogue Output Capabilities of a PLC

Hi All

I was wondering if someone could help me with a question on the capabilities of modern PLCs and analogue output modules

I am want to generate a waveform from an analogue output module of a PLC. The waveform would be made up of multiple voltage points that are generated every 10 micro seconds (see attached picture)

Is there an off-the-shelf PLC and analogue output module on the market, that is fast enough to generate a waveform of this resolution?

I believe the limiting factors would be:
  • PLC scan time
  • Output Refresh Time of the analogue output module

Many thanks in advance

Analogue Output Cap.jpg

I'm not aware of one, and frankly, I'd be surprised to learn that such a PLC exists. Many of the PLCs that I've worked with over the years only update 1 analog channel per module with each IO refresh -- never mind program logic sweep time or damping within the analog module itself.

If your diagram is accurate, then you are trying measure 10KHz sine waves so the band width of your outputs must be much higher. It can be done but no way with a PLC by itself.

I would look for a signal generator that an be controlled by an external device. Maybe USB audio card since 10KHz is in the audible range.

If your diagram is accurate, then you are trying measure 10KHz sine waves so the band width of your outputs must be much higher. It can be done but no way with a PLC by itself.

I would look for a signal generator that an be controlled by an external device. Maybe USB audio card since 10KHz is in the audible range.

there are lots of good standalone signal generators these days for those who play with oscilloscopes, or in this case, need to generate a sine/cos at 10khz for a resolver bench test.

For OP.

https://siglentna.com/application-note/resolver-simulation-using-arbitrary-waveform-generator/

https://www.amazon.com/1HZ-500KHZ-F...43910030&s=industrial&sr=1-5&ts_id=5011665011

super cheap, but who knows... good for testing a new application?

Thank you all for your feedback

I know PLCs are not really meant for high speed applications although the EL4732 does look interesting.

a separate signal generator maybe more suitable for the job or maybe a NI cRIO may work although I know that would be an expensive solution

Thank you all for your feedback

I know PLCs are not really meant for high speed applications although the EL4732 does look interesting.

a separate signal generator maybe more suitable for the job or maybe a NI cRIO may work although I know that would be an expensive solution

I'm interested in the scope of your project. Is this an automation project that requires PLC or similar hardware? Your original inquiry was to understand if there was a PLC that could output a voltage signal @ 100 ks/S over a sine wave. Why are you considering a PLC or cRIO for your task?

Last edited: