Another newbie FactoryTalk Transaction Manager Question

mgallgood

Hi All,

I'll looked through the forum and the vastness of google with little luck (which makes me believe what I'm going to ask is not possible). I'm using FTTM, for the first time, in an existing system that utilizes MS SQL, ControlLogix PLCs, and View SE. This solution will be one where the user triggers the loading of recipe information from the database into the PLC(s) and the processors will track that the proper cleaning was performed between batches. There is a bit of data that does not need to be written to the PLC(s) but does need to be displayed on the graphics screen for operator use.

So my question is, can FTTM write to View SE Memory Tag or is it restricted to only writing/reading tag data from processors?

Thanks,
Mike

Usage of FTTM is quite thin on the ground. I set up two systems a couple of years ago and found it a very steep learning curve (especially coming from a Siemens background). I don't remember whether you can setup a connection directly to View SE; could you do it by OPC?

You can always write it to the PLC and read it back to View.

Nick

I have been using since it was called RSSQL. Great program that RS didn't write. Probably why it works so well. It can link to tags or points in Plc only (as far as I ever tried anyway). So like Mangle said write the data you want displayed to Plc then use view to display it.

That is what I expected to hear. I had already considered that solution but was hoping for a better answer.

As for the product working well, all I can say is that for someone who has never used it before it is being a pain to get the initial configuration setup. I'm hoping once I get through that on my test bed the function of the app will be better.

Thanks.

Just remember it can only run one configuration at a time. But it can have multiple connection and tasks for that config. I have one plant that uses a single server to log steps from 4 CIP systems and 24 batch kettles.