Anyone used a Smith Meter, MicroLoad.net?

Snide

I posted before that I was using a MicroLoad.net to talk to a Prosoft card in a controllogix processor. I have read a lot about the MicroLoad.net and contacted the tech from MicroLoad.net (he's on vacation).

I can't seem to find how you get the data from the MicroLoad.net to the Prosoft card, that is read the data. I have found the software MicroMate which programs the MicroLoad.net device, but i still can't seem to figure out how to retrieve the data from the MicroLoad.net. I need to control this Microload.net device too.

Has anyone done this before or used a MicroMate.net Smith Meter?

I'm sorry to bother everyone with this. I'm just stuck.

Thank you for helping me.

You have two possible communication breakpoints with at least three possible issues. You could have a Prosoft to CLX comm issue, a Prosoft to Microload hardware issue or a Prosoft to Microload protocol issue. So just so we all know how far you have gotten:

1) Is the Prosoft card communicating with the CLX processor?
2) Do you have hardware communication between the Prosoft card and the Microload.net? How have you confirmed this?
3) Do you get any response to queries from the Microload.net, even incorrect responses?

Keith

O.K. I know this is bad, but I don't have the MicroLoad, cards or CLX processor. I told my boss I need this stuff and he thinks I shoud be able to find out how to communicate with out the devices and program them, he did say he might get me the MicroLoad here. It seems so impossible to do this stuff, I guess because I don't have any equipment and I'm extremely new to PLC's.

What I'm trying to find out now is how to read the serial data from the MicroLoad and how to send commands, then i need to understand the prosoft card etc. (I did contact the sales rep). I don't know how to get messages and recieve messages to this device then the prosoft card is next. How does this work with the data that the microloads info.?

My boss asked me to understand how to talk to all these devices, but I feel like I'm drowning.

Yep, you're in a bad way. Life would be much easier with hardware in front of you.

It looks to me like the MicroLoad uses ASCII commands to trigger actions and provide responses. My guess is your biggest challange is going to be building up commands and queries and parsing responses on the PLC side.

I'm pulling this from memory since it's been a while since I looked at any of the Prosoft stuff. As I remember you communicate with the Prosoft card through a big block of data to and from the card. Prosoft has some recommended structures you can use to break the data apart into usable chunks. I suggest you use these since it will be much easier for a Prosoft support guy to help you if you do.

I think you can build up ASCII strings in the Prosoft card and trigger their transmission using a message nmumber out of the PLC. The Prosoft card will respond with a byte count when it receives a message. You need to parse this response to get the info you want out of it.

I think the initial setup for the Prosoft card is done using someting similar to telnet connection through the serial port. You build up a text file with the configuration you want and download it to the card.

You can also send messages individually from the PLC through the card. This is slower but much more flexible. It also requires less Prosoft side setup.

If I were you I would figure out how to communicate from the PLC to the Prosoft card first. I think this will be your biggest challenge.

Keith

Thank you, I will start reading on the prosoft card.

This seems really hard. I don't know if it really is, but I'll keep trying. Thank you for your time.

I agree with TWControls. I also strongly recomemnd you get that sample program. In fact, you will be able to use a pretty big chunk of it.

Keith

I tried to open This that TWControls sent, wouldn't work. my computer blocked it. I did find out I will have to request the data from the MicroLoad.net device in the program. It is not a cont. stream of data.
I will look for examples online. I'm reading about the ProSoft device. again, thanks for pointing me in the right directions. Amy

I just found an expmple program, it seems to be a lot of stuff in there for this card. Is that the right one?

Last edited:
Does the program look like this?
Prosoft.JPG

Yea, I think that is it. I'm looking over that program. I didn't know
there was that much stuff to set using this card. Thank you

I have to admit. You have a very challenging application for your first Controllogix.

You need to beat you boss over the head with a baseball bat and knock some sense into em. This is going to be tough to pull off in a smooth manner without haven't the equipment in front of you to test with.

I'm pretty good at Controllogix and communications both and I'm not sure how well I would do going into the customer to look at this for the 1st time. But we will help you in anyway we can time permitting

I agree...Thank you. I'll just keep trying to swim, but it seems everytime i come up for a breath of air (getting one answer leads to 20 more)...I sink again. (smile)

Amy