Applied motion Products drive/motor ASCII control with RSLogix500

carlisn

Hello everyone, has someone here worked with applied motion products line of stepper/servo motors or drive controllers via serial commands (Streaming Commands) using the AWA or the AWT rslogix500 instructions? I'm been trying to setup a drive (specifically the SV7-Q-RE drive) to be commanded by a SLC/505 cpu via the RS-232 port for the last 2 weeks with no success. I have called applied motion products for help but they're not helpful. They say every PLC is different so they don't know every ASCII rules on every manufacturer, etc. Anyway, I must be doing something wrong when writing the stream command at the AWA and or AWT but again, I just don't know or don't understand how those streaming commands need to be properly written at the rslogix instruction. If someone here has done it and have a .RSS sample that can post it to give me clue would greatly appreciated it. I just need an example, not just the addressing format or explanation of the ASCII formatting which I don't seem to understand.... Thank you in advance! Charles

Last edited:
The AWA and AWT are pretty straight forward. AWA just sticks termination characters to the end of the string (as defined in the channel config). First thing to do is hook the serial port of the plc back into your computer and something like hyperterm so you can validate what you are sending isn't gibberish.

Depending on the number of commands you are sending you may need to build something to queue your ascii commands. The serial port has a built in queue that can handle 16 messages.

Thank you Geoff, the hyperterminal tool was a great idea!Now I can see the PLC stream and it looks fine. However, the carrier return <CR> required by the drive, is not been sent no matter how or what I enter as the termination character at the channel communication (Channel 0 user) for the AWA instruction. The motor drive works fine because I'm able to send commands via the applied motion SLC utility and motor responds. The PLC RS-232 is also working fine. Charles