Applying AOI changes to all instances

Dan123

When using AOIs in RSLogix 5000, how can I make changes to certain settings be applied to all instances of the AOI? For example, I create 20 instances of an AOI that has a local timer with a preset of 1000ms. Later on, I would like to change that preset to 5000ms, so I go offline, change the preset value in the definition of the AOI to 5000ms, and download the project to the PLC. However, when I do this, all the timers in the instances remain at the original setting of 1000ms!

This is happening for all my local variables inside AOIs -- all the instances used the initial value I set in the definition, and any time I make a change to the definition they are not applied to the instances.

You probably are going to have to create a new local tag in the AOI definition and delete the other tag.

The other option is to manually update all the instances.

If you want to guarantee that at run time all instances have the same timer presets then use a MOV instruction in the AOI to set the preset.

This from the AOI manual 1756-PM10A-EN-P

Default values are loaded from the Add-On Instruction definition into the tag of the Add-On Instruction data type when it is created or any time a new tag is added in the Instruction Definition Editor to the Add-On Instruction definition.​

Local tag values in your Add-On Instruction definition are the default values. Changing an existing local tag value will not affect any instances of your Add-On Instruction that already exist.​

One way to be sure a value is applied to all instances of your instruction is to assign a literal value to the tag in your code for your Add-On Instruction.​

You never mentioned your RSL5K or Studio5K version. The way I do it:

When offline, open an element definition of your AOI, and select "Monitor Tag" of whichever tag you'd like to assign defaults to. Then where it says "Data context", scroll up to where it says <definition>. Then, two buttons to the right of that will illuminate and from there it's pretty obvious.

When changing your AOI definition, and you change any "default" values, I am 99% certain there is an option to "roll them out" to your already programmed instances, or not, your choice.

Many people do not use default values because they don't understand what "default" means. The default values you program into the AOI definition are only applied when a new AOI-defined tag is created. That is why they are called "default".

Since you can only modify an AOI definition or code offline, the programming software is asking you if you want the default value change to propagate through to already created tags. Like said - your choice...

I always add some extra input parameters just for this to AOI's...Basically, if set, it will initialize the AOI to new values.

You can also create a pre-scan routine for the AOI to initialize all internal members with hard-coded numbers; that runs only once when the processor goes into run mode.

I always add some extra input parameters just for this to AOI's...Basically, if set, it will initialize the AOI to new values.

You can also create a pre-scan routine for the AOI to initialize all internal members with hard-coded numbers; that runs only once when the processor goes into run mode.

The only problem with doing that is that all of your instances will inherit the same values, even if you have "tuned" or commissioned them.

Here is the way I use the default values property of the parameters...

example : I create an AOI for automatic valves, and I declare 2 input parameters for opening and closing grace times. I give both of those parameters a "default" of, say, 3000 (for 3 seconds). Now each time I use the AOI, my defaults will be set automatically, and I don't have to worry about "forgetting" to put values in.

As the plant is commissioned, valves with longer operating times (eg. large valves, or valves a long distance from the manifold, motorized valves etc.), can have these input parameters adjusted online in run mode, just like a Timer Preset, for example, which exhibits the same property, i.e. a "default" value of 0.

I would never "re-apply" defaults, because I'd have to re-commission all my valves. But each "new" valve I add will default to the set values.

As I said above, default values are only set into AOI tags, as they are created.