ASCII messaging via CIPMSG with ML1400

Evan.rice44

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi All,
I was wondering if it is possible to send ASCII commands via Ethernet messaging with a ML1400? I have to send instructions to and from a vibratory feeder table with a Micrologix 1400/BWA. The feeder table is not the only device on the network, it also contains a robot controller that I am communicating with. I downloaded the program someone posted in the downloads section of CIP messaging with a Cognex camera but I'm quite lost on how they are achieving this. If anyone could shed come light on this it would be greatly appreciated. I hope the pic I posted helps explain what im dealing with.

Thanks!!!

Asyril Setup.jpg

After digging into the documentation on Cognex cameras using "In-Sight" communication and going through the RS500 program that was posted, I now see that the project I referenced in my previous post (CIPMSG to Cognex camera) doesn't help me at all so please disregard that portion. But the question remains......

For raw ASCII communications from the MicroLogix 1400 controller you would use the available set of ASCII instructions and not message instructions (MSG).

Here is a useful technote with example program files for all controllers that support these instructions...

50011 - ASCII MicroLogix and SLC examples to Read and Write
Access Level: TechConnect

I do hope you can access it. If not, let us know and I'm sure we can sort something out for you.

Edit: Pardon me. Those instructions are used with the serial port and you are using the Ethernet port. You would use the MSG instruction with string data type. You will have to build your ASCII command strings to send and if receiving replies you will have to parse them out or compare them for verification.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
Ok that's what I w as soon thinking also. But now I'm wondering what type of message I need tof use. Should I use a PLC5 Read/Write? Or a generic CIP message? And what is the address for my target I'm writing to?
Thanks geospark

As I'm not familiar with the vibrator table you are trying to communicate with, I think we should take a step backwards here first.

You have mentioned CIP a couple of times now. Do you know if the vibrator supports CIP over Ethernet, more commonly referred to as EtherNet/IP?

If it does not support the CIP object model then CIP messaging will not work as it cannot interpret the Instance/Attribute object commands being sent to it.

The Cognex camera, used in the example you have mentioned, will undoubtedly support EtherNet/IP, and so CIP messaging. But, just because your device supports Ethernet TCP/IP does not automatically mean it also supports EtherNet/IP.

Just to distinguish...

TCP/IP is the Transport Control Protocol which manages the transfer and integrity of Ethernet data packets. It is referred to as a Transport Layer within the Internet Protocol (IP) Suite. It can transport different types of Ethernet data within TCP packets. The different types of Ethernet data are defined by Application Layer protocols.

Ethernet/IP is an Application Layer protocol. It defines, using the CIP object-oriented standard, the structure of the data to be transferred. The EtherNet/IP data is then transported using TCP packets.

You need to investigate whether your vibrator table supports EtherNet/IP (CIP), or not.

If not, you may have to use another feature called Ethernet Socket Connection which allows the MicroLogix 1400 communicate with Ethernet TCP based devices.

Regards
George

Hey George,
So it turns out that my device is in fact Ethernet TCP/IP, not EtherNet/IP. Based on that information, what type of messaging would I use to communicate ASCII commands?If it helps I would be glad to post the programming manual to the device to you can see their instructions? I also wanted to say thanks again for all the help, I have never done this particular type of communication before so your a real life saver.