Automation Direct PLCs..

ELake20

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm sure all of you guys have used them...We are looking at cutting some costs and standardize on the micrologix family....the only thing that I am seeing with the ADs is the inability to use Timer Timing bits...what are some creative ways to "simulate" a timer timing? I'm just looking into it, and that is one of the main things that I dont like so far. What are some other disadvantages/advantages?
Other than price, of course :ROFLMAO:

It is easy to simulate the timer timing bit - just use the logic used to start the timer, add a NC done contact, and set your own coil. I have never found this lack to be a problem.

Biggest disadvantage is that the MicroLogix (at least some of them) has better math functions and the floating point is easier to use. If you don't do a lot of calculations in your program that isn't a big deal.

If you use a lot of subroutines the RSLogix gives a cleaner printout and cleaner editing. The DirectSoft shows all subroutines at the end of the main logic and not in separate screens.

The MicroLogix file structure for data is convenient (again depending on model) if you have a lot of math. The DirectLogic data register numbering and memory sizes are pre-determined.

Communications with the DirectLogic is easier to set up, easier to wire, and is a lot more robust.

Connecting live is easier with DirectLogic because you don't need a separate program like RSLinx.

The documentation for DirectLogic is a lot better, more compact, easier to use, and more logically organized.

I personally find DirectSoft easier to use than RSLogix.

input x1 timer 1
|--------][------------------[ ]----|
input x1 timer 1 output 1
|--------][------]/[----------( )----|

Tom is right about the math. It is much easier and straight forward in the micro Logix. I also like the way AB software works better than AD. This may be result of using AB more than aD but I still like AB better. Also with the math and move statements you can see your calculation results in the ladder. But as we all know price wins

[font=&quot]GO JETS[/font]

agree

I agree with Tom 99%. They are both good products. But i personally prefer RSLogix to program with because of the subs
and the math instructions makes it alot easier to follow
when you come back in 6 months and try to figure out what
you`ve done. As for cost their about the same because I don`t
use many and have this cheap wholesale house (which I`m sure most use when time premits.)

:site:

Tom,

Sorry, my slow typing duplicated what you said in the first paragraph.

Very good information.
You will have to excuse my ignorance, the only PLCs I've programmed are Micrologix. I'm kind of use to the way RSLogix is setup...thinking about getting a cheapie AD and getting rid of some temperature controllers and go into the PLC with them..some of our hotstampers are relay logic and these sound like a nice alernative coupled with a 6 inch EZ-Touch panel of course..

Thank You!!

Elake20,

If your even considering AD, then why not go and buy a DL-06 and Directsoft. Spend about $500.00 (software, cable and PLC) and give it a "test drive". My guess that you'll be pleasently supprised.

I like AD but in this case I dont see alot of savings.

Since you have RSLogix and are familiar with the MLs I dont see alot of savings involved. The ML is a good unit and the 1100 is suppose to be out this month which allows online editing plus some other features.

You can use the EZText with the MLs too.

Of course if the company is willing to purchase an AD unit, software etc I would do it just to become familiar with another brand.

If you just need a basic PLC with discrete I/O Ron is right about the savings on a per PLC basis. The savings average maybe 25%, but on a basic unit that isn't much in absolute dollars. The advertising compares AutomationDirect.com (ADC) list to Allen Bradley list, but in reality I never pay list for Allen Bradley.

If you have multiple applications for similar PLCs, or if you have a lot of analog I/O, or if you need two communications ports, or if you have netwirking to do, then the savings can get bigger. The ADC has two ports standard, and you have to go to a ML-1200 or 1500 to get it with A-B. Cables and adapters are much less with ADC. And analog I/O is a lot less money with ADC.

Thats what its looking like...We only use 1200s when we have lots of I/O or need analog...when we need a second comm port we up to a 1500...we dont use the 2 port 1200 because there are functions that the 1500 has that the 1200 doesnt have. The other day I was rummaging through the backroom and found 6 SLC500s just sitting there...I guess they are some old take-outs..I might just use what we have and buy some expansion modules for SLCs and install those...We probably have 20 ML1000s in L16 & L32 AC & DC Input all relay outputs laying around from applications where we have had to add more I/O.
The plant manager is tired of seeing temperature controllers scattered throughout the stampers..wants them on one enclosure on each stamper...there is already an HMI and a ML1000 in it but I want to handle the thermocouples & heaters. I really enjoy developing the HMI to do neat things like temp control & time delay etc. The ML1000 with thermocouple inputs is just about as expensive as a 1200 with a thermocouple input module...plus you get the extra I/O.
Just seeing whats out there....Thanks for all of your help!!

I know nothing about the AB 1200..But I do know a little about project economics.

If you can add an analog module, or whatever you need to the existing AB's then it might be more cost effective to do that; even if the hardware is going to cost more then an entire AD setup. The time required for the leaning curve, programming from scratch, and implementation, extended shutdown etc.. is what really costs. Before jumping ship from AB to AD take a look at the whole picutre in regards to cost & try to estimate the cost burden of the time involed by going either way. My wild guess is that you'll come out a loser by switching brands.

That is becoming more and more evident as I sit down and figure out what its actually going to take to do the swap..

AD stage programming

I really like this feature on the AD plcs. I'm not sure if AB has this feature or not.
-Mike

mpiotro,

Yes, AB has the equivalent to AD Stage Programming, except they call it Zone Control, and it is implemented using the MCR command (nothing more than the old Master Control Relay that us relay logic panel builders have been using since Noah's ark). I do not like the Automation Direct Stage relay (or the MCR either) They are cumbersome and why give up a simple build-you-own Zone relay for a more complex one that does the same thing provided that you can keep all the Sets and Resets straight.