automation engineer

barry suydam

we have linked a number of slc 505s to an e-net network. We are operating through a dedicated server for this network, utilizing data collection for faults, downtime, and etc. When we try to make online program changes to the ladder logic on a plc, often, we get failure at the accept,test, or assemble functions for the code changes which throws us offline. Of course we can opt to go back online which gives us the option to save the changes and then try to complete the code change. usually we have to do this step a number of times to finally get it to accept. I am assuming this is a timeout issue. Is there anything we can do to improve this process?

we have linked a number of slc 505s to an e-net network. We are operating through a dedicated server for this network, utilizing data collection for faults, downtime, and etc. When we try to make online program changes to the ladder logic on a plc, often, we get failure at the accept,test, or assemble functions for the code changes which throws us offline. Of course we can opt to go back online which gives us the option to save the changes and then try to complete the code change. usually we have to do this step a number of times to finally get it to accept. I am assuming this is a timeout issue. Is there anything we can do to improve this process?

Hi Barry, we are having the same issue!

🍺

To clarify we are using Ethernet/IP drivers for all our SLC 5/05 PLCs over a VPN, every time we make online changes we play gamble at being kicked offline and starting over. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, it's not very reliable and very time consuming to keep trying repeatedly.

Last edited:
I have had this happen on 2 sites both small networks one plc one computer

different computers at both sites, and it happened more than once but was sporadic, never figured out what the issue was, I doubt it was time out since the amount of data being transferred was incredibly small. wondering if it is a software version issue, I can't recall the version of RSlogix5 I was using