backup battery issue

dedic

hi

i have some issue with battery in the electric smart meter the battery dies after 2 month they most work 5 year

you can see the pic in the attachment file below,

DSC08605.jpg

hi mickey,

i have new one but the problem when i replace the battery he dies after 2 or 3 month
i need to product battery from high voltage i don't know if this problem from battery or electric volt because in iraq the volt is not stable

i have more than 5000 smart meters the battery dies in the same week and i lost all data on the meters

and if resistors product battery life from high volt or high frequency.

(sorry for my english)

Last edited:
hi steve,

the company who make this meters say this problem from high volt or high frequency

the company who make the battery say this problem high temperature because in iraq we have 60° in the summer but i have this issue last 3 week.

i lose my money because i give 2 years of warranty on the meters and 3 years on the battery.

Last edited:
hi

pic NO#1 i use this 4 battery for 3 month as test battery but all battery dies after 2 month

pic NO#2 can i use resister for protract my battery from high or low volt
or frequency

thanks

Screenshot (465).jpg

Last edited:
I don't believe the problem is high voltage or high frequency.
A resistor won't help.
Batteries work on chemical reaction. Heat increases the chemical reactions. If heat gets high enough, you can have thermal runaway where the battery self-destructs.

I still think the problem is heat. Try storing a new battery inside the meter. Don't connect it to anything, just leave it in the package. If heat is the problem, it will kill the battery in storage.

Send bad batteries out to a lab for failure analysis.

the solution

thanks for your support

i send this test to factory who made this meters they said this is our fault

the battery most supply microchip when the electric is off but it show me the battery supply for all time

Screenshot (476).jpg

You may need to look at the electrolytic capacitors on these boards.
From what I see on your picture at least one of them is a cheaper grade rated at 85 deg C

They most likely have an excessive leakage under warm (hot) temperatures and can dry out fast also.

You should replace them with more expensive long life 105 deg C capacitors

hi contr_conn

the factory said we have manufacturers mistake so we will indemnity for you and they will repair all electricity meters