Basic questions about the Hitachi Micro-EH units

uri

Hello and thanks for having me here.

I am not a programmer at all so please excuse the very basic questions. I am an artist who used to build my own relay and Arduino based systems to switch my sculptural works, until I found out what a PLC is recently.

Anyway, here I am with my new Hitachis and trying to figure them out. First question: I have a base 20-point unit and an 8-point extension unit. There's a ribbon cable to transfer data but no power supply on the extension unit. The base unit has a power DC out section. Can I just jump that to the DC in on the extension unit?

If I don't get flamed too badly I have a few more questions... :)

Thank you!

Yes you can use the 24VDC from the base unit to power the extension unit inputs, but you should buy an external power supply to power all the inputs and DC outputs if you have them. The 24VDC from the base unit has a low power output.

Thanks Nonuke!

I'm actually not using any inputs. I want to use the two units to trigger 16 AC outputs. Will jumping the power work to that effect?
Many thanks.

Since you are not using any inputs, you might be able to use the 24VDC from the CPU. I didn't find the power of the 24VDC supply in the manual, and also the necessary power of the extension unit, but you can try. Like I said before, you should play it safe and use an external PS.